Access to Portfolios

Jump to solution
ingrid_abraham
Community Explorer

Hello,

Some of our learners have created portfolios, made them 'public' and shared the urls so that they can be accessed by tutors and our quality assurance team.

However, it is possible for learners to gain access to other learners' portfolios by a process of trial and error if they change and experiment with the last two digits of the url. Obviously, we would hope that learners would not do this but it represents a potential security breach.

Is there a way around this? If learners make their portfolios 'private' is there a way to give access to authorised users such as their tutors while eliminating the risk of others gaining access without permission?

0 Likes
1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @ingrid_abraham  - I work at an institution where the faculty post private ePortfolios for contract renewal. While reviewing the documentation, you probably were as confused as I was about the true difference between a public and private ePortfolio, since sharing the link either way apparently allows one access to it.  For the record, here are the appropriate documentation pages for students:

How do I make my ePortfolio public as a student? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10490-4212717399 

Your experience verified for me that indeed keeping it private is best.  For one thing, the URL is much longer and is less likely to be discovered "accidentally," as you have discovered.  It also will not be retrieved on sites such as Google, based on some experiments that we conducted at our own institution. I would recommend that you indeed have the students make it private.  The only thing you will have to worry about then is that the students copy/paste the URL accurately!

View solution in original post