cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kda106
Community Participant

Accessibility Documentation

Jump to solution

Are there plans to update the Accessibility Documentation for the new UI?

Accessibility within Canvas

It appears that the terminology section is not up to date with how Screen Readers refer to specific regions.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Kathleen,

That document is now updated with the information as shown through JAWS.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

Erin

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@kda106 ​, I don't have an immediate answer for you, but I'm going to share your question with someone familiar with the documentation.

@jivedocs_unfede ​ Would you be able to help with  @kda106 ​'s question on timelines for updating documents?

jeb5123
Community Contributor

Any response on this?

We are hoping that the way that the navigation and regions are termed for screen readers can match what is in the documentation.

The documentation uses references to Global, Course, and Breadcrumb navigations, and Main and Sidebar regions, while on a screen reader (JAWS), references are to Main, Context, and Breadcrumb navigation, and to Main and Complementary regions.

Hi Kent,

Sorry for the delay in responding. We actually have two Canvas Doc Team profiles and the one you tagged we don't get notifications for (that's the one with the flying panda). Thanks to Stefanie for making us aware of your question!

I've sent this to our accessibility manager to check in with her. I believe she is out of the office today though, but I'll let you know when I hear back.

Thanks!

Erin

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Kathleen,

That document is now updated with the information as shown through JAWS.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

Erin

View solution in original post

jeb5123
Community Contributor

Hi Erin,

I think the issue wasn't that the regions weren't documented, its more that what a screen reader reads and what the documentation says are different.

It would be great to have the screen readers match what is in the documentation.

For example, when the documentation is telling students how to use to course navigation, the students on JAWS don't know what that is. They know where the Context navigation is, but that may not connect for them. Or When referring to the Global Navigation, but for those users it is Main Navigation.

Hi John,

That would take some work from our engineers to make those changes in Canvas. Our accessibility team is aware of this need and will provide an update when they have one.

Thanks!

Erin