cw468

Accessibility checker WCAG level?

What WCAG level does the Canvas accessibility checker check for at present and if not WCAG 2.1 AA, will this be updated soon? Thanks!

3 Replies
kona
Coach Emeritus

@cw468 , greetings! This is an interesting question that I hadn't ever thought of in terms of the accessibility checker. I'm not sure of the answer to this question, but I'm sharing it with the Accessibility‌ group in the Community to see if they can help!

Kona

0 Kudos
christopher_phi
Community Champion

You can find a list of the the accessibility rules that the Accessibility Checker checks for in this document: 

How do I use the Accessibility Checker in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor? 

Up front, I think it is important to note that the accessibility checker does not claim to do any kind of comprehensive check of WCAG 2.0 or 2.1 guidelines. It is only checking for a few rules. However, as I look over that list of rules, I don't recognize any of them that include the new additions from 2.1. 

Of note, Canvas has open-sourced the accessibility checker: 

https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/accessibility/blog/2018/06/14/the-accessibility-checker-has-b... 

So in theory some of those additional checks could be added that way - I'm not sure how much active development is happening on the tool right now. 

acolvin
Community Member

This is a great question. I too wish the Canvas accessibility checker was more robust. Adding this feature would help us out (here where I am) a bunch!

0 Kudos