cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meganm-b
Community Member

Accessing a Course as a Student (Dual Roles)

Jump to solution

Original Topic Title: I'm signed up as both a student and a teacher for a course. How can I go to the page as a student?

I am a student organizing a self-study study group, and so I created a course on Canvas for it as a teacher (which I was able to do from my student Canvas account). I also added my account as a student so I could turn in the assignments and then add the grade from the teacher view. However, I can only view the page as a teacher and I cannot figure out how to go to the page as a student. I can do the "student view" option, but that only lets me test features as a test student, and I need to see the page as myself. Does someone know how I can go on as a student instead of as teacher?

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
meganm-b
Community Member

Thank you  @kona  and  @chofer  for the help! I eventually found that I could turn in an assignment if I clicked on it from the to-do list on the Canvas dashboard.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

meganm-b​, in the past faculty were able to add themselves to a course as a student and see the "Submit Assignment" and "Take Quiz" buttons just like students. I just checked and I can still see the "Take Quiz" button, but I'm not getting the "Submit Assignment" button (for assignments) any longer.

The work around for this is that you go to to Speedgrader for the assignment and attach your assignment through the comment box. It wouldn't show up as a true assignment, but you would have your assignment posted and you could still give yourself a grade for it.

Hope this helps!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi meganm-b​...

It looks like  @kona ​ has given you some good information here.  I wanted to let you know that I'm going to modify your subject line of this posting and also tag your question with keywords so that it is easier for people to search for here in the Community should they have similar questions.  Please let me know if the revised title doesn't quite reflect what you are asking in the body of your message.  We can work to make any corrections.  Hope this is ok with you.

meganm-b
Community Member

Thank you  @kona  and  @chofer  for the help! I eventually found that I could turn in an assignment if I clicked on it from the to-do list on the Canvas dashboard.

View solution in original post

dlyons
Instructure
Instructure

The Student View "Test Student" is able to view the entire course as a student would, submit assignments, take quizzes, etc.; is there some functionality missing that the Student View doesn't meet?

@dlyons , the Test Student can't receive Canvas messages or email/SMS notifications. Don't know if that's relevant to this particular use case, but it's a fact. Smiley Happy

That's true. I was going by the assignment submission/grading use case illustrated in the original question but you're right; no way to test external notifications (though the recent activity and to do list function as expected.)

James
Community Champion

@dlyons ​​,

There was a discussion about the difference between student view/test student and using a dummy account, but I can't find it right now. One thing i remember is that the Canvas test student can't do collaborations with Google Docs.

That's true too! I know the differences between a "real" student and the Student View; I was more curious what specific things meganm-b​ is trying to test that the Student View wasn't meeting since her original question ​would be serviceable with just the Test Student. If her testing needs can be met by the Test Student she can skip the multiple enrollments in the same course situation she has that is causing her issues.

meganm-b
Community Member

I'm using the course as a way to organize a self-taught study group with some of my friends. I'm enrolled as a teacher so I can edit the course and put up the assignments we're doing, and as a student to keep track of the assignments I've done and to track my grades.