cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sara_chai
Community Contributor

Accessing all student grades...

Jump to solution

Is there an easy way (like there is for the student when they log in on the right hand side) for an admin to access grades in all subjects (6 classes)?  Our counselor wants percentages and an easy way to print them.  I realize that you can go into each class, but they want an easier - all classes approach.

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
sara_chai
Community Contributor

I voted and am sending it for voting to other site members.  This is tough for our counselors!

View solution in original post

clong
Community Champion

Actually... you kinda can and it's not too hard.

1) find their user number that Canvas assigns them by using the URL when you are looking at that student somewhere.

93696_pastedImage_5.png

2) change the URL to something like this:

https://yourdomain.instructure.com/users/17226/grades

then you will see something like this:

93695_pastedImage_4.png

The only problem is the student's name does not appear on this page. This works in new UI too!

Ideal? No

Easy??? I'll let you decide.

We (but not me) ended up making a Parent/Student/Staff portal where staff can see something like this.... it has so many goodies in it and even a caseload where staff can make a custom list of students they would like to "follow/monitor"

93697_pastedImage_6.png

@biray ​ I'd be jazzed to show this on a CanvasLIVE​ session.

clong
Community Champion
47 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

sara.chai, unfortunately no, there is no good/easy way to do this. We use a third party application - Dropout Detective - that works seamlessly within Canvas to monitor our online students grades, missing assignments, etc.

There is a feature idea about this though - - that could definitely use some more votes (needs at least 5 more up votes before Sept 2) and comments for why this is so important.

sara_chai
Community Contributor

I voted and am sending it for voting to other site members.  This is tough for our counselors!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I totally and completely agree!!

clong
Community Champion

Actually... you kinda can and it's not too hard.

1) find their user number that Canvas assigns them by using the URL when you are looking at that student somewhere.

93696_pastedImage_5.png

2) change the URL to something like this:

https://yourdomain.instructure.com/users/17226/grades

then you will see something like this:

93695_pastedImage_4.png

The only problem is the student's name does not appear on this page. This works in new UI too!

Ideal? No

Easy??? I'll let you decide.

We (but not me) ended up making a Parent/Student/Staff portal where staff can see something like this.... it has so many goodies in it and even a caseload where staff can make a custom list of students they would like to "follow/monitor"

93697_pastedImage_6.png

@biray ​ I'd be jazzed to show this on a CanvasLIVE​ session.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is an awesome work around  @clong ​!!! Thank you for sharing!!

biray
Community Champion

Sounds like an excellent idea, Chris! Can you submit it as an topic idea in the CanvasLIVE​ space so we can track community interest and flesh out the idea around 'student information' further in comments?

clong
Community Champion
jason_castaldo
Community Participant

While it seems like it should be trivial to build the feature into Canvas. Without wondering why it is not included, the work around would be somewhat tolerable if there were a simple way to get  a list of student Canvas numbers. Anyone know how?

At least then I could create a web page with links to each students grade page. As it is, we would need to access each student and write down the ID. If the number is in the database, there should be a way to get it out.

I figured it out. Will post tomorrow.