Accommodations - Allowing student to take breaks during quiz

Jump to solution
ahimsel
Community Participant

Hello,

I have a student this semester whose accommodations include being able to take breaks during exams. I am using the "classIc" quizzes, and I do not see a way that I can do this in the settings. Am I missing something? Also, I've asked the student if we might achieve the same goal with shorter tests (e.g., they have 30-question exams, but I could make this student three 10-question exams instead). I haven't heard back yet, but it's possible that this option would not address the students' needs (e.g., if they can't predict how long they can go before needing a break). Does anyone else have other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Contributor

Hello,

Do the exams have a time limit?  If not, then students will be able to exit and return to the exam as often as needed, up until the "Available until" time that you have set in the settings.

If there is a time limit, then the test timer will start when the student begins the test, and continue to run in the background even if the student leaves the test.  There is no way around this.

The closest thing you can do is to allow the student extra time on the test, so that they will have more time leave and take breaks and return if needed.  There are instructions for doing this at

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/Once-I-publish-a-timed-quiz-how-can-I-give-my-st... 

View solution in original post