cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jenwon
Community Participant

Account Permission setting for deactivating a student

Jump to solution

Under account level permissions, which permission controls the ability to deactivate a student in a course?

Thanks!

Jenny

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jenwon
Community Participant

Our IT Admins were able to deactivate until a few months ago. I, too, was told by support that this ability resides solely with account admins at this point.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
abunag
Community Champion

I would assume "add/remove student", because that's what controls whether someone can see the gear icon for students in the People tab.  Unfortunately I don't have an account handy to test it at the moment, so I can't test to confirm.

jenwon
Community Participant

That is what I had assumed, too.  My IT Admin settings already have that setting checked, but I have an IT Admin who cannot deactivate students. She can deactivate other roles, however.

abunag
Community Champion

Does that Admin have any role in the course, such as Teacher?  If so then there may be permissions interference.  If not, then we need to look at the Admin permissions to see if there's something else tied to the "students" permission.  And unfortunately that's probably going to be trial-and-error.

This guide is what Instructure gives us to work with when figuring out permissions: 

Admin roles:  https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Account.pdf 

Course roles: https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Course.pdf 

jenwon
Community Participant

I just checked, and she has enrolled herself as a TA.  I thought account permissions overrode course permissions.

I will try changing her status.

abunag
Community Champion

In theory they should override, but some edge case I've found that the more restrictive permission wins out.  The was especially a problem with student workers who needed admin access, although that seems to have been cleaned up.  If the TA permission really is the problem, make sure to submit a ticket so Instructure knows about it and can fix it.

jenwon
Community Participant

She cannot deactivate students as a TA, Designer, Teacher or totally removed from the course.  She only sees user details. We also tried another of our IT admins, and he sees user details, analytics, edit sections, and resend invitation.

All of our IT admins seem to be locked out of assignments.

jenwon
Community Participant

We fixed the Admin lockout of assignments.  They need to be able to add/manage/delete courses, which we had turned off as we have a different user class who actually manages the addition/deletion of courses. That did not affect the initial problem, however. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi jenwon‌...

I thought I'd check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic since February 14, 2017.  Are there any outstanding questions you have yet regarding your initial posting, or has this issue been more or less resolved?  If you could please let us know either way by posting a comment below, that would be helpful.  And, if you feel that one of the above replies is "Correct", please mark it as such.  For now, because there hasn't been activity in this thread for quite some time, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope that's okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon, Jennifer.

nr2522
Community Champion

For reasons that I don't quite understand, Canvas Support told me that the only role that can deactivate a course enrollment is the omnipotent Account Admin. I would have thought that the "Manage SIS data" permission would suffice, but no. (This leaves me in the position of having to process course withdrawals in Canvas on behalf of our Student/Academic Affairs dept., at least until such time as one of my IT colleagues can update the SIS to Canvas enrollment feed.)