Account Roll-off

Jump to solution
kread23
Community Member

I am curious as to how other institutions handle account roll-offs. What we are looking for insight on is as employees/faculty roll-off or leave our institution how do you handle their accounts in Canvas?

Do you simply just delete the user's account within Canvas? Or do you just leave it active and let your other authentication methods handle their access to Canvas?

Is there anything to be concerned about when deleting a user's account? Is it tied to courses? If I delete the user's account will it also in turn delete any manually created courses under their account?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @kread23 ...

When an instructor leaves our Technical College, we make sure to remove them from "master" courses that we've given them access to.  However, we do not remove them from courses that they have taught during their time at our school.  All users (students, instructors, and Canvas administrators) log in to our Canvas environment via a Single Sign-On (SSO) process, so all login information is handled by our IT team at our school.  When someone leaves, I believe our IT team takes care of disabling/deactivating the account.  If you were to delete someone's account in Canvas, that would also remove them from any courses that they were currently enrolled in.  You can find out more about this at How do I delete a user from an account? - Instructure Community.  I do not believe that deleting an instructor at the account level in Canvas would delete the manually created course(s).  But, once you remove that person from your Canvas environment completely, then than user wouldn't have access to said course(s).

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Take care...

View solution in original post

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @kread23 

My friend, @Chris_Hofer has given you some good advice.

I will add that deleting a teacher does not delete anything they have created in Canvas, not even any courses. However, deleting a user does make it much harder to find their old courses, and those you might need.

We did not use single sign on, so we hinked their sign on ID which was their employee number by adding random characters at the end and changing their password. It worked, and we could still find them by name-search, then find their courses..

Kelley

View solution in original post