cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harris60
Community Contributor

Add People Button Not Active

Jump to solution

I am trying to figure out how to add someone to my course. This is a course that I have created for myself - it is a development copy of a course, not one that I would offer to real students. I have added people before, but when I try now, the + People button is there, but I can't click on it -- it is grayed out.

Some facts that MAY be pertinent:

I am using google chrome. My institution has switched to the new user interface just two days ago. There is no end date set for the course.

addpeoplegray.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

harris60​, I think you're right about the course term. As you can see in my screenshot, I have the ability to change the term for the course. Additionally, I am able to set my course to a default term, so I'm not bound by the term time frames. So, when I use a "Master Course" at my institution I use it as a place to store all of the content, and then I copy that content into a new course each semester. Based on what I'm understanding from your comments, you are wanting to do something similar.

What I would try doing, is checking the box for "Users can only participate in the course between these dates" and set those dates in a way that will allow you to have access, and add people longer than just Fall 2015. By switching the course details from term base to the date range you should be able to bypass that stingy term setting. The other thing that you could consider is working with your Canvas Admin to change the way the term dates are set.

Am I on target for what you're trying to accomplish here? If not, we can attempt something else.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
travis_thurston
Community Champion

harris60​,

You're absolutely right that adding people to your People page ​in your course is a necessary function. Thanks for adding that you're using Google Chrome. I don't think that in this case it's a browser issue. There was a recent question about a similar topic where the + People button was grayed out​, and the answer was changing the term for the course, or checking the box for the dates listed in the Course Details section becomes active. I would check this and see if it works for you first (I've added a screenshot below). Please try that, and if it doesn't work please let me know and I'd be happy to suggest other options to help you.

Thanks!

~Travis

Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 3.28.59 PM.png

OK, I think we are on the correct path here.

This is a course that I created myself for me to manage my 'master' copy of my course content without affecting my current/live courses. From your proposed solution, it appears to me that the problem  is that the term is assigned as: "Fall 2015" which is when I created it.

However, there is no option for me to update the term. Here is my screenshot:

149424_pastedImage_0.png

I guess a workaround would be for me to copy it into a new course; however that is a big pain for two reasons. First, its just a pain to do each semester. Second, my institution does not allow me to delete courses, so I will be stuck with an entire set of these courses, one for each semester.

harris60​, I think you're right about the course term. As you can see in my screenshot, I have the ability to change the term for the course. Additionally, I am able to set my course to a default term, so I'm not bound by the term time frames. So, when I use a "Master Course" at my institution I use it as a place to store all of the content, and then I copy that content into a new course each semester. Based on what I'm understanding from your comments, you are wanting to do something similar.

What I would try doing, is checking the box for "Users can only participate in the course between these dates" and set those dates in a way that will allow you to have access, and add people longer than just Fall 2015. By switching the course details from term base to the date range you should be able to bypass that stingy term setting. The other thing that you could consider is working with your Canvas Admin to change the way the term dates are set.

Am I on target for what you're trying to accomplish here? If not, we can attempt something else.

View solution in original post

@travis_thurston ​

Great idea! That worked.

One caveat though. I tried to check the box and leave the end date open (empty). This didn't work. Instead, I had to put in a future end date of January 2017. guess I will need to change that when it expires (I didn't experiment with a really future end date -- like twenty years from now).

I haven't experimented with a 20 year time frame for a course either Smiley Wink Seems a bit daunting to have a course last for that long.

In any case, I'm glad that it worked out for you. That's good to know about adding an end date there as well. Thanks!

reichard
Community Member

Had the same issue - two years later now and it still is not possible to add people to past courses. Why is this restricted?

I wanted to add my TAs to a couple of past courses so they can review past submissions and how that was graded. My only work around was, as described above,

• setting a time frame that includes the current date (i.e. end date after today)
  • then add the TAs
  • then I could remove the date restriction again