Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
axa1102
Community Member

Add Units to Module

Jump to solution

Hello,

I would like to ask how I add a new Unit to an already existing module.

Thank you very much in advance.

Alexia

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @axa1102 ...

It sounds like you're wanting to nest one module within another.  While this is not possible in the current Canvas interface, you could use the indenting option shown in this Guide: How do I move or reorder a module item? and also the text header option in this Guide How do I add a text header as a module item? to sort of simulate modules within modules.

Also, there is a Feature Idea that looks related to what you're asking called https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4636-modules-within-modules" modifiedtitle="true" title="Modul....  You'll noticed that this Feature Idea is on Instructure's "Product Radar" stage which means that they are aware of the need, but they may not be able to develop anything in the very near future based on other projects and priorities that they are currently working on.  However, you can still vote on it and also add your comments as to why this feature would be important to you within the Canvas LMS.

I hope this information is helpful to you, Alexia.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Alexia and welcome to the Community!

Could you be a little more specific about what you mean by adding a unit to a module?  Are you saying that you would like to create subdivisions or subsets in one module?

axa1102
Community Member

Hi Scott,

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. I am wondering how I can create subdivisions/subsets in one module.

Thanks,

Alexia

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @axa1102 ...

It sounds like you're wanting to nest one module within another.  While this is not possible in the current Canvas interface, you could use the indenting option shown in this Guide: How do I move or reorder a module item? and also the text header option in this Guide How do I add a text header as a module item? to sort of simulate modules within modules.

Also, there is a Feature Idea that looks related to what you're asking called https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4636-modules-within-modules" modifiedtitle="true" title="Modul....  You'll noticed that this Feature Idea is on Instructure's "Product Radar" stage which means that they are aware of the need, but they may not be able to develop anything in the very near future based on other projects and priorities that they are currently working on.  However, you can still vote on it and also add your comments as to why this feature would be important to you within the Canvas LMS.

I hope this information is helpful to you, Alexia.

View solution in original post

axa1102
Community Member

Thank you very much Chris!

joel_duffin
Community Participant

My company, Atomic Jolt, a Canvas Partner, offers a product that augments the existing Canvas module functionality by allowing you to nest modules and easily visually navigate modules. Underneath, it is still Canvas modules, but it just provides a user interface that allows you to do the nesting, upload images representing the modules, and to embed that visual navigation in your home page. To learn more about the product and request a demo, please see Atomic Curriculum Tools - Atomic Jolt.