cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ksvail
Community Member

Add items in To-do list?

Jump to solution

Is there a way for students to add items to their "to-do list" that are not assignments/quizzes from within Canvas? For example, if a student is absent and needs to complete step 1 of a project, can they make themselves a "to-do" on that list? The list might populate "Project due in a week" but can a student add their own "to-do" list to the one Canvas populates automatically?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hello  @ksvail  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community, and we're happy to have you here. The "To Do" list is solely for assignments, as covered here: How do I use the To Do list and sidebar in the Dashboard as a student?  However, just under the To-Do list is the "Coming Up" list.  And while it's not as front-and-center as "To Do," it IS possible for students to add items to their personal calendar so that it will show up there.  There is documentation on the process here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10521-4212716710 , though that added benefit is not explicitly pointed out.  However, I ran a test on our Test environment posing as a student, and after creating an event on the student's personal calendar for something in 5 days, the "event" DID indeed appear listed in the "Coming Up" section.

So, again, not quite what you wanted, but perhaps a bit of a help. The students should, frankly, get introduced to the features of the Calendar, anyway.  It's a great tool that is remarkably easy to overlook since it is not associated with a specific class.

I hope this helps a bit, Kim!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hello  @ksvail  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community, and we're happy to have you here. The "To Do" list is solely for assignments, as covered here: How do I use the To Do list and sidebar in the Dashboard as a student?  However, just under the To-Do list is the "Coming Up" list.  And while it's not as front-and-center as "To Do," it IS possible for students to add items to their personal calendar so that it will show up there.  There is documentation on the process here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10521-4212716710 , though that added benefit is not explicitly pointed out.  However, I ran a test on our Test environment posing as a student, and after creating an event on the student's personal calendar for something in 5 days, the "event" DID indeed appear listed in the "Coming Up" section.

So, again, not quite what you wanted, but perhaps a bit of a help. The students should, frankly, get introduced to the features of the Calendar, anyway.  It's a great tool that is remarkably easy to overlook since it is not associated with a specific class.

I hope this helps a bit, Kim!

View solution in original post

victoria-maloy
Community Champion

Hello  @ksvail ‌,

Have you been following the recent Canvas updates? You might find the List View to be just what you need.

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15244-4212947404