Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hesham_omran
Community Member

Add multiple users with names and emails

Jump to solution

Hi
"How do I add users to a course?" was changed recently (Version 26, Feb 18th 2017).
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2878
Previously, I can add multiple users with their names and emails as below

"FirstName LastName" <email@univ.com>, "FirstName2 LastName2" <email2@univ.com>
Now I cannot do this! I have to put emails only, then wait to the next window where I have to put the names one by one. This is really inconvenient if you have a class with 100+ students. Previously, I can add all students with their names and emails in a single click.
Please make the previous capability available again, or let me know how to resolve this!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @hesham_omran ‌

If you take a look at the comments for the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-02-06) and  Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-02-18), you'll find a lot of discussion around this top.  If you look at the Production Release Notes, there are some comments from erinhallmark‌ where she has indicated that Instructure engineers are working on changing that functionality.  Here's an example of one of her replies: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8835-canvas-production-release-notes-2017-02-18#comment-756... 

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @hesham_omran ‌

If you take a look at the comments for the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-02-06) and  Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-02-18), you'll find a lot of discussion around this top.  If you look at the Production Release Notes, there are some comments from erinhallmark‌ where she has indicated that Instructure engineers are working on changing that functionality.  Here's an example of one of her replies: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8835-canvas-production-release-notes-2017-02-18#comment-756... 

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Thanks Chris!

I hope they can get back this useful feature soon.

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hello!

Thanks for asking this question as I am more than happy to look into it. As of last night, our engineers implemented a change into production that better supports adding students through CSV files, but adding the names along with the emails was functionality that I was curious about myself. We've put in a ticket to make sure that if names are added as part of a file, the names are retained with the email addresses. Watch the Canvas release notes for more information as soon as it is available.

Thank you!

Erin

What amazing timing! We just needed to manually add a large number of students (via a CSV file) into a Canvas Course and this functionality is working! Whew! So happy to have it back!

abunag
Community Champion

Kona - how are you adding students via CSV?  I'm trying to revise my workflows and right now I'm only aware of the full SIS Import and manually adding students via the People tab.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Manually copying and pasting from CSV into people. Sorry for not clarifying.