cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
holmant
Community Participant

Add students to another course

Hi All

I have an issue that I don't know is possible or not.

I am at teacher in a course with 107 students.

There has been a secondary course added.  The course with 107 students needs the EXACT same students in the secondary course.  Is there a way to copy or move the students from the original course into the secondary course???

In short terms, I have two courses that need the EXACT same 107 students in both courses.

The secondary course is a faculty-created course to supplement the initial course.  It is strictly for informational/ purposes only. (no modules, test, syllbus, anything of that sort.).  Just information links for the students and their job searches.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @holmant ...

Sorry to see that your question has been sitting out here unanswered for such a long time without a response.  For the course that already has the 107 students...do you know how those students were added to your course?  Were they added automatically via SIS import vs. manually added?  If someone like your school's local Canvas admin or someone from your school's Online Learning/eLearning department had things set up in Canvas to automatically enroll students in your course, they might be able to add those same students to another course shell in Canvas which holds those additional resources.

Another option I thought of for that second course would be to create a separate Canvas course shell...but make the link to that course shell "public" ... in that anyone with the link would be able to access the course without needing to enroll all those students in the second course.  Of course, this also assumes that students would not be doing any kind of interactions in the course such as discussion postings, taking quizzes, submitting assignments, etc... basically anything that might record course activity.  But, it doesn't sound like that would apply to this second course.  If it's a "public" course, you would only give students in your primary course access to the link for the second course.  There is always a risk, though, that students in that course could distribute the link to others not in the course...if that is of concern to you.

Anyway...I hope these ideas might be of some help to you.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks.  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

gnoack
Community Champion

If you are worried about it being public, you can also create a course that allows self-enrollment with a secret key. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-enable-course-self-enrollment-with-a-jo...