Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tara_plouff
Community Participant

Adding CanvaBadges on Open Source Account

Jump to solution

Hello,

I would absolutely LOVE to use CanvaBadges for my upcoming summer course, but it just says "Invalid tool launch - unknown tool consumer". I am not nearly tech savvy enough to figure out the "multitenancy" instructions...or beyond. I gave it a few shots and have gotten nowhere. Please help out this dummy!

(I am using the open source free version as I teach immigrants and refugees in a non-credit course. My school says non-credit courses will not receive the paid version of Canvas [under the school's account] until October or November.)

Thank you in advance!

Tara

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jward
Instructure
Instructure

Hey everyone,

Tara helped me confirm an authentication error that a few people are having when they install Canvabadges. For some reason when you install the Canvabadges LTI/app in your course or account, the key gets lost. If you click on the App Configurations, click the edit button next to Canvabadges and re-paste in the key, it should work just fine.

You can also do what  @mpoole ​ did and install it with the Manual URL option. Here's the URL to add to the setup (in addition to your key and secret): https://www.canvabadges.org/placement_launch

Hope that helps. Thanks everyone who helped figure this out.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
jward
Instructure
Instructure

Hello  @tara_plouff 

I ran my first Badges for Learning course from the Free for Teachers Canvas account, so we should be able to get this to work for you. We could maybe do a Google Hangout and you can share your screen with me and we can see what is causing this error. Or, if you are ok with adding me as a teacher in your course for a little bit, I think I can help you get this working. I just sent you my contact info. Let me know what works best for you.

Jared.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jward  you are awesome!

mpoole
Community Participant

​I had the same problem the first few times I tried to set it up after taking Jared's course. I was not able to get it to work using the key secret option. I had to do the manual URL configure and it worked fine.

maybe helpful?

@jward ​

Thank you so much for your amazing work here with  @tara_plouff ​

Can you possibly summarize what you helped Tara with so that others with similar hurdles can learn from your discoveries?

jward
Instructure
Instructure

Hey everyone,

Tara helped me confirm an authentication error that a few people are having when they install Canvabadges. For some reason when you install the Canvabadges LTI/app in your course or account, the key gets lost. If you click on the App Configurations, click the edit button next to Canvabadges and re-paste in the key, it should work just fine.

You can also do what  @mpoole ​ did and install it with the Manual URL option. Here's the URL to add to the setup (in addition to your key and secret): https://www.canvabadges.org/placement_launch

Hope that helps. Thanks everyone who helped figure this out.

View solution in original post