Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gordon1
Community Member

Adding a blog to global navigation in Canvas

Jump to solution

Hi there! I am a first time poster.

Our institution has a student blog in Wordpress that we would like to be available to all logged in students somewhere in the global navigation as a link.

With apps, we are able to add pre-approved apps to all classes. That would be the ideal, simple location for the blog link. But we can't figure out how to add a simple link and make it globally available. 

Thanks for any insight or ideas.

Gordon, Sessions College

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @gordon1 ​...

My first question would be...is your school using the current User Interface (UI) with the global navigation menu at the top of the screen or along the left side of the screen?  If your navigation looks similar to what is described in this tutorial video, , then you are using the new UI (which will be a standard for all Canvas users in early July 2016).

If you are using the current (not new) UI, and if you are an admin for your school's instance of Canvas, you could add some code to your global JavaScript file that allows for additional menus across the top of your screen.  We recently did that at our Technical College, and it is working fairly well.

MenuItems.jpg

I'm going to give you several links that you might find interesting.  I know there are a few more topics (probably linked in some of these), but this should give you a pretty good start on what others are doing.  The links talk about the current UI vs. the new UI and people wanting to carry over their custom links from the current to the new UI.

Additional Navigation Menu Item

Adding custom menu items

JS for additional Menu

Re: Cool branding?

So, I would recommend adding your blog site to a custom menu using some custom JS code.

I hope this helps, Gordon!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @gordon1 ​...

My first question would be...is your school using the current User Interface (UI) with the global navigation menu at the top of the screen or along the left side of the screen?  If your navigation looks similar to what is described in this tutorial video, , then you are using the new UI (which will be a standard for all Canvas users in early July 2016).

If you are using the current (not new) UI, and if you are an admin for your school's instance of Canvas, you could add some code to your global JavaScript file that allows for additional menus across the top of your screen.  We recently did that at our Technical College, and it is working fairly well.

MenuItems.jpg

I'm going to give you several links that you might find interesting.  I know there are a few more topics (probably linked in some of these), but this should give you a pretty good start on what others are doing.  The links talk about the current UI vs. the new UI and people wanting to carry over their custom links from the current to the new UI.

Additional Navigation Menu Item

Adding custom menu items

JS for additional Menu

Re: Cool branding?

So, I would recommend adding your blog site to a custom menu using some custom JS code.

I hope this helps, Gordon!

View solution in original post

gordon1
Community Member

Chofer,

Many thanks for your detailed help.  We are not using the new UI yet, but you've pointed me to some resources that we could use for this purpose. Yay for Canvas and its helpful community.

Best,

Gordon