cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vindiolac
Community Member

Adding a rubric to an assignment

Jump to solution

I created an assignment in Canvas that used an external tool (google doc).  Students submitted, everything is fine.  I would now like to add a rubric to this assignment.  I followed the instructions in your help guide and the rubric is just perfect, but the option to add the rubric is not available on this assignment.  It is published, student submissions show up in speed grader.

Screenshot of issue

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bbennett2
Community Champion

Adding a rubric on an External Tool assignment is...less than pleasant. 

The short answer is that you have to create a general assignment (No submission, on paper, or online) first. Then add the rubric on the Assignment detail page (not in the editor). Once you add your rubric, go back and edit the assignment, making it an External Tool submission.

Once you create it, you can go into the SpeedGrader to see the rubric. Students can see the rubric when they go to the assignment details (more here on that).

There's an issue open for voting (go give it an upvote!) that would make this process easier.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
bbennett2
Community Champion

Adding a rubric on an External Tool assignment is...less than pleasant. 

The short answer is that you have to create a general assignment (No submission, on paper, or online) first. Then add the rubric on the Assignment detail page (not in the editor). Once you add your rubric, go back and edit the assignment, making it an External Tool submission.

Once you create it, you can go into the SpeedGrader to see the rubric. Students can see the rubric when they go to the assignment details (more here on that).

There's an issue open for voting (go give it an upvote!) that would make this process easier.

View solution in original post

Ok, thank you very much. I did go and up vote. I also tested the option with a dummy assignment and it worked. Thanks for your quick response and your help.

Have a nice day,

Cynthia Vindiola

Creek Valley Middle School

Grades 7 & 8 History

Google Certified Educator Level 1