cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sclark3
Community Member

Adding a rubric

I am trying to add a rubric to an assignment. I used the guides and see how to do it, but it does not give me the option to add the rubric. Any help? I've attached a screenshot.

4 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sclark3 

How to Add a Rubric to an Assignment

1. Create your assignment, and navigate to it
  2. Click the + Rubric button,

224170_pastedImage_2.png

1. The Rubric Dialog box will open with a blank rubric read to edit,

224171_pastedImage_3.png

1. Add your criteria and rating scales as desired,
  2. Give the rubric a logical name,
  3. Click a checkbox next to how you want to use the Rubric at the bottom,

224172_pastedImage_4.png

1. Click the “Create Rubric Button.

Whammo Zammo, it is done.

I would have included links to the appropriate Guides, but it sounds like you are already familiar with those.

I hope this helps,

KLM

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@sclark3 ‌,  @kmeeusen ‌ has definitely given you the step-by-step (whammo-zammo Smiley Happy)! Your screenshot shows that you're in the edit mode of the assignment, and that might be the source of the confusion; the + Rubric button does not appear in the edit assignment view. Also, if it happens that you have created an assignment of the External Tool submission type, even after you've saved, you won't see the + Rubric button; it disappears for External Tool types. You'll need to create the assignment and save it first with a different submission type, then add the rubric, and then re-edit the assignment to switch the submission type to the External Tool of your choice.

stefaniesandersThanks for providing the additional info for Shane. Sometimes I miss the trees for the forest!

Me

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sclark3 ‌ - I wanted to check-in with you and see how you were doing with adding rubrics to your assignments. Were you able to make Canvas work the way in which you hoped? Did the ideas shared by  @kmeeusen  and/or stefaniesandershelp you? For now, I'm going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered" but that will not prevent you or anyone else from commenting on the thread. If you have a few minutes, it would be awesome to hear an update! Smiley Happy