cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skreitzer
Community Contributor

Adding images to quiz questions

Jump to solution

What is the easiest way for a teacher to add an image to a quiz so that the image is NOT visible to students in the course files before the quiz takes place?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@skreitzer ​, the teacher should first upload the image files to the course files area and set the visibility option on each file to "Only available to students with the link." With this restriction in place, the files will not be visible to students in the Files area. Students will only be able to view the images through the links (or preferably image embeds) within the quizzes themselves. To accomplish this quickly, the teacher can upload all of the images slated for use in quizzes in a separate folder and place the viewing restriction on the entire folder before creating the quiz or quizzes.

For additional guidance, please refer to How do I restrict files and folders to students in Canvas?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@skreitzer ​, the teacher should first upload the image files to the course files area and set the visibility option on each file to "Only available to students with the link." With this restriction in place, the files will not be visible to students in the Files area. Students will only be able to view the images through the links (or preferably image embeds) within the quizzes themselves. To accomplish this quickly, the teacher can upload all of the images slated for use in quizzes in a separate folder and place the viewing restriction on the entire folder before creating the quiz or quizzes.

For additional guidance, please refer to How do I restrict files and folders to students in Canvas?

skreitzer
Community Contributor

Thanks!  I figured it had something to do with that, but I didn't realize you could set those permissions on the entire folder.  I appreciate you pointing that out. 

One thing to note and that is we recently discovered that when copying a quiz from one course to another (possibly using QTI), the FOLDER PERMISSIONS do not pass with this.  In the original course, attached images were in a folder that was designated that 'Not visible in student files' but when it was imported into the new course, that folder was re-created in a 'PUBLISHED' state.  The quiz, which was fundamentally designed for image identification, is now 'shot' according to the faculty member involved, and obviously needs to be fixed.#quiz security quiz import #security hole