cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laura_gerds
Community Member

Adding multiple emails to one one user

Jump to solution

As I am adding students I was wondering how I could add multiple emails (students email, parents email, etc) to one user without having to create multiple accounts. 

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jmsmit49
Community Participant

Hello!

I just did this for a student so this is fresh in my memory. There's 2 ways you can do this manually:

1. Students do it themselves and add an additional "contact method" How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as a student? 

2. If you're an instructor, it's a little different How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as an instructor?  

The student or parent can then edit the notification preferences for the different emails depending on their need for updates.

However, I'm not sure how you would do this via .csv if you wanted to do this in bulk for multiple students. 

Lastly, you can always merge the accounts if there are already a few that exist for the same user, so no matter what email they log in with, it will take them to a single account https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12630-421473706 

I hope this helps.

Best,

Jackie S. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jmsmit49
Community Participant

Hello!

I just did this for a student so this is fresh in my memory. There's 2 ways you can do this manually:

1. Students do it themselves and add an additional "contact method" How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as a student? 

2. If you're an instructor, it's a little different How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as an instructor?  

The student or parent can then edit the notification preferences for the different emails depending on their need for updates.

However, I'm not sure how you would do this via .csv if you wanted to do this in bulk for multiple students. 

Lastly, you can always merge the accounts if there are already a few that exist for the same user, so no matter what email they log in with, it will take them to a single account https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12630-421473706 

I hope this helps.

Best,

Jackie S. 

View solution in original post

Thank you!  I am the instructor so it looks like I can only do it after their account has been created!  Thank you for the help!