Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
murphy_1527
Community Contributor

Adding one student to multiple courses

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am using Canvas for a non-academic program (professional development). We are having an event in the near future that involves the creation of 14 Canvas courses (which I have made). Students who attend this event:

1) Do not currently have a Canvas account and

2) Should only have access to the 3 or 4 courses that they have registered for

What's the best way to go about making both of these things happen? I know how to add users (who already have Canavs accounts) to courses (generating an invite to join the course) but if I use this process does that mean the student will get 4 separate invites for each of the 4 courses I put them in? How can I avoid that?

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @murphy_1527 ​...

It sounds like you would benefit from using the "SIS Import" functionality of Canvas.  If you go to your account's Administrative Pages and then click on the "SIS Import" tab on the left side of your screen, near the top of the "SIS Import" heading, there will be a link to view some documentation on setting up a zip file.  This documentation should help in creating a properly formatted CSV file that you could upload into Canvas which would handle the enrollments so you wouldn't have to log into each and every course and enroll everyone manually.  Hope this is of some help to you, Margaret!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @murphy_1527 ​...

It sounds like you would benefit from using the "SIS Import" functionality of Canvas.  If you go to your account's Administrative Pages and then click on the "SIS Import" tab on the left side of your screen, near the top of the "SIS Import" heading, there will be a link to view some documentation on setting up a zip file.  This documentation should help in creating a properly formatted CSV file that you could upload into Canvas which would handle the enrollments so you wouldn't have to log into each and every course and enroll everyone manually.  Hope this is of some help to you, Margaret!

View solution in original post