Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
principal

Adding other faculty members to a student group

Jump to solution

In a course with multiple teachers, I want to assign teachers to student groups, so that when messages are sent to everyone in the group, the teacher for that group will also get the message.  But when I make a new Group Set and want to add teachers into the group, only the students show in the list of who can be assigned to a group.  How can teachers be assigned to a group?

Tags (2)
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@principal ​...

Even though your instructors are assigned to the course with the "Teacher" role, you should be able to also invite them to the same course as a "Student"...so they essentially have dual roles in the same course.  They will still have all the abilities that the "Teacher" role has.  (This will also allow your instructors to access the Student Groups areas easier).  So, once your instructors are added as "Students", they should be able to be added to the groups within the course.  Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@principal ​...

Even though your instructors are assigned to the course with the "Teacher" role, you should be able to also invite them to the same course as a "Student"...so they essentially have dual roles in the same course.  They will still have all the abilities that the "Teacher" role has.  (This will also allow your instructors to access the Student Groups areas easier).  So, once your instructors are added as "Students", they should be able to be added to the groups within the course.  Hope that helps!

Hi Chris, this works, but if I want to add the teacher to all the sub set groups I created under the Group Set. This is not possible. For example, I created a group name December Class, and created sub set group , Section A, Section B, onwards... I am able to add my teacher to just one Section. Kindly advise how can I add the teacher to all subsets.

0 Kudos

Hi  @dsengupta ...

The short answer is...you can't.  Think of it like this...  in a traditional classroom, you have a group project.  You divide students up into four groups of five people each (so 20 students total).  During the course, you go around to each group's table to check in on how their project is going.  You can't be at two tables at the same time...and this is essentially how it works in Canvas, too.  Similarly, students cannot be a part of two groups in the same group set within Canvas.

This question is a few years old, and since then I've written a blog post detailing my above answer.  You can find it here: Easy Student Group Access for Instructors.

I know this might not be the answer you are looking for, but I hope it will help to answer your question.