cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sueltyler
Community Member

Adding people - no student option

Jump to solution

Hi - I wonder if someone can help?  I seem to be having trouble with one particular course whereby when I try to add people I cannot get the Student option, it defaults to "Teacher" and when I try to edit the role the "Student" option is not available.  I wonder if I'm missing something obvious.

Sue

299282_pastedImage_1.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Steve - many thanks for your input.  I checked the permissions and all was well.  Gave up in the end and recreated the course.  All seems well with the new course so I deleted the old one.  I think probably just put this one down to experience.  Regards.  Sue T

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi  @sueltyler 
Do you know which role you have in this particular course? In the list you've shown it looks like there are some custom roles (Academic Lead, Assistant Lecturer, Office Admin) that are not standard Canvas roles but have probably been created at system level by your local Canvas administrator. A course teacher should be able to add people to the course in any role but your admin might have set up these custom roles so they can't enrol students. If you're a teacher in most of your courses but in this one course you've got a different role, that could explain why you're not seeing the same options. You might need to talk to your local admin about it.

Hi Steve

Many thanks for replying so promptly.  Would you believe I am the local Canvas Administrator!  All the previous courses have been set up in the same way and the custom role (the one I usually apply to me) of "Office Admin" can usually add Students, Lecturers, Assistant Lecturers etc.  I would be grateful for any other ideas. 

Kind regards.  Sue

That's weird. It might be worth checking that nothing has changed in the permissions for those custom roles. If you're an admin then I assume you have rights to go to the Admin tab and view Permissions. There are two separate permissions for enrolling users - one to add students and another to add teachers/designers/TAs, as shown in this screenshot from my admin view. Are both those permissions ticked for the role you're using?

299359_pastedImage_1.png

Hi Steve - many thanks for your input.  I checked the permissions and all was well.  Gave up in the end and recreated the course.  All seems well with the new course so I deleted the old one.  I think probably just put this one down to experience.  Regards.  Sue T

tito_soriano

We had this issue and found that the user had marked the course as a blueprint course. Which was preventing the teacher from adding students.