cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jorges81s
Community Member

Adding students along with names

Jump to solution

Sorry, I am a n00b here and trying to get grounded here and set up a course.  There's a lot to figure out, but one thing in particular I cannot figure out.

When adding "people" to course- how exactly do I add their names?   It gives a format putting the name in quotation marks, but simply won't allow me to enter a name.  I end up registering as a student without any name- only the email address shows.  I am scratching my head trying to comprehend what I am doing wrong.  I have searched the topic 'add users' and "add students" but it doesn't seem to offer any specific advice in any of the topics or tutorials.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi  @jorges81s ​...

A Student Information System is a program used by a school to register students for classes.  For example, our SIS is called Banner, but there are others available as well.  One of our IT guys then has a program that sends enrollments from our SIS into Canvas.  You had mentioned manually enrolling people.  That's probably ok if you are just doing this for a small number of people/classes, but if you are eventually going to be using Canvas for lots of students and lots of courses, you're going to want to take a look at the SIS information that I gave you before.  I found this Canvas Guide for you on how to manually create users in Canvas at the Admin level: How do I manually add a new user to an account?.  Once you have users created in your Canvas instance, you can then begin manually enrolling them into courses.  How do I add users to my course?  If you need to manually add a few people at one time, you can simply follow the directions in that Guide an when you get to the screen where you input the names/email, just enter in the e-mail addresses (one per line...no quotation marks).  Because you've already created the users (using the first link I gave you in this reply), it will automatically find the names of the people so that you can add them into your course with whaever role you choose.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jorges81s ​...

If your school has a Student Information System to connect to Canvas, that is probably the best way to go about this.  Student names are sent from the SIS to Canvas so that each student has an "account" in Canvas.  Then, the SIS also tells Canvas which course(s) a given student needs to be enrolled in.  Here are a great set of Canvas Guides about how this can be accomplished via SIS import: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4141#jive_content_id_SIS_Imports   Hope this helps!!!

jorges81s
Community Member

Thanks for your reply Chris.

I'm a bit unsure what is meant by Student Information System in this

context. I don't have an institutional account, but just a personal one

for some EFL classes in Korea. I thought I'd be able to manually register

my students ( like on Edu 2.0 and other similar systems). I'll peruse the

topics you've posted , but I fear I may have bitten off more than I can

chew in this instance.

Thanks again for your help

Hi  @jorges81s ​...

A Student Information System is a program used by a school to register students for classes.  For example, our SIS is called Banner, but there are others available as well.  One of our IT guys then has a program that sends enrollments from our SIS into Canvas.  You had mentioned manually enrolling people.  That's probably ok if you are just doing this for a small number of people/classes, but if you are eventually going to be using Canvas for lots of students and lots of courses, you're going to want to take a look at the SIS information that I gave you before.  I found this Canvas Guide for you on how to manually create users in Canvas at the Admin level: How do I manually add a new user to an account?.  Once you have users created in your Canvas instance, you can then begin manually enrolling them into courses.  How do I add users to my course?  If you need to manually add a few people at one time, you can simply follow the directions in that Guide an when you get to the screen where you input the names/email, just enter in the e-mail addresses (one per line...no quotation marks).  Because you've already created the users (using the first link I gave you in this reply), it will automatically find the names of the people so that you can add them into your course with whaever role you choose.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

clong
Community Champion

Hi Jorge,

If you are using a free Canvas account I have a video that will show you how you can setup a Google Form to collect all your students names and email addresses as well as what period they are in and then copy and paste this to the people area in Canvas to add them to the right course and section.

See: Canvas Adding Students to Sections

If all you want to know is how to format the student names, they should look like the one below.

Ferris Bueller <ferrisbueller@gmail.com>

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Jorge:

First, welcome to the Canvas Community, and welcome to Canvas. As you can already tell, the Community is a very helpful place.

I just have one thing to add to what  @chofer ​ and  @clong ​ have stated - which are both spot on instructions.

When enrolling the students in your course on the People page you can also simply list the email addresses (or whatever user ID you have chosen)  with a comma between each email address such as kmeesen@comcast.com,micky.mouse@gmail.com,franks@yahoo.com.

Much easier workflow for me.

Agent K

clong
Community Champion

Thanks Kelley, No doubt that it is easier.

I should have clarified my rationale for doing this. When I was using my free for teacher account I found that if I did this, my high school students would put their nicknames or just put in their first names or mix up their first name and last names and the only way for me to fix it was to have them login to Canvas in class and walk them through changing their name.

Once I started adding them with their names in the field, they were prompted to create their Canvas accounts with that name already filled in. This really made a difference! And while the students could change their name, most of them did not and my class roster was nice and tidy Smiley Wink