cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgosnell

Adding the same content to multiple courses

Jump to solution

Is there a way to add the same module/content to several sections without having to go into each section separately? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Coach Emeritus

Hi  @mgosnell  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

The easiest way would be to upload the content of the first section to Canvas Commons; from where you could then download to all your sections at one time. Learn how at Learn more at What is Canvas Commons? 

I, however, find it just as easy, or easier, to use the Course Import Tool, because I can just set the import then move on to the next course. 

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kmeeusen
Coach Emeritus

Hi  @mgosnell  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

The easiest way would be to upload the content of the first section to Canvas Commons; from where you could then download to all your sections at one time. Learn how at Learn more at What is Canvas Commons? 

I, however, find it just as easy, or easier, to use the Course Import Tool, because I can just set the import then move on to the next course. 

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

0 Kudos

Thank you for each of these suggestions.  Could you tell me with either of these suggestions would the due dates you set up go along with assignments that you have already created?

0 Kudos

yes

0 Kudos
update

I agree. There is Direct Share now but it is still requires multiple unnecessary clicks. Canvas should change from selecting only one class at a time to selecting multiple classes at once just as you set the import from Commons.

Why make teachers select a single class to copy to, click copy and then have to repeat that 6 or 7 more times to copy the same assignment for the rest of the classes they need the assignment in? And while you are at it, why not set the creation of an original assignment, page, quiz, etc so that teachers can already select multiple other classes where to post it to just like EDSBY? That's is actually one of the main features why many teachers prefer EDSBY which is more intuitive and you can post easily and fast into the multiple classes you select right there during the original creation or editing.

Hopefully it doesn't take Canvas years to include the option to post pages, assignments, quizzes and modules to multiple classes right from its creation instead of all this frustrating workaround of having to unnecessarily click hundreds of extra times per day to accomplish such a simple task. 

They will tell you to create it somewhere else like in the Sandbox. Then find it listed, click on the right side dots, then click copy to, then select the single class you want to copy to, click to copy and then repeat for each of the rest of your classes. Or create it in the Sandbox, exported to commons, go to commons, click to import it back, select all the classes you want to import it to, but lose your due dates, so then you have to go into each class and edit each one of the dates of the item. I say, skip all that and simply include the option to select posting to multiple classes right from the beginning.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos