Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmacon

Adding ungraded column in grade book

Jump to solution

I want to use the score on a final exam to replace a low test score, I do not want to drop a low test. I want to put a column/assignment in my grade book to keep a record of the score that was replaced, but I don't want this column to count towards the course average.

For example, lets suppose a student earned grades of 60, 70, 80, and 90 on the 4 chapter tests. If that students get an 85 on the final exam, then their final counts as 85 (out of 100) and the 60 becomes an 85. Now all 5 test scores are: 85, 70, 80, 90, and 85.

Things i have tried that are not working as I want:

1) Made assignment ungraded, then column doesn't appear in gradbook

2) Make assignment worth 0 points, but when i put in a score it is adding to students grade and thus is acting like extra credit.

3) When I mute an assignment it still effects their grade

4) If I change the score of a test (replacing score from final) I can see the Grade History for the student, so this seems initially that it works. However, when I export the grades the exported file does not show me the grade history and thus I don't see the original score that was replaced.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Update: I found a work around. Make the final out of 200 points and double their score, then drop a low test grade.

I will tell Canvas to drop a low test grade, so the student will see the 60 score with an x next to it. I will make the final count twice so it will replace the low grade. In order to make the final count twice I have to make the final out of 200 and double the score. In my example above, the student scored an 85 on the final, so in the gradebook the student will see a grade of 85x2 = 170 (out of 200) for the final.

I would much prefer to do what I describe above as this work around will be confusing for students when they see their grades and a dropped test score. I can send a message and explain to them but some may still be confused.

Is that possible to add a column/assignment without the assignment changing the course average?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @bmacon ‌ - I saw your question earlier today and was thinking it over, and were not for your own work-around I probably would never have tried to contribute an answer to it!  You came up with a great solution, and actually there IS a way to create a column without the assignment affecting anything.  You can read about it here:  How do I exclude an assignment from the course's final grades?  The student sees it, it IS on the Syllabus page, and it will even appear on their "To Do" list, but it will not affect the final grade.  As the example in that online lesson demonstrates, you can leave an explanation for the assignment when they click upon it, such as:  "This is a placeholder that will record your actual grade for the final exam....." and you can call the assignment something like "Final-Actual Score."  I'm sure you can come up with your own best wording.

Yes, they may still be confused by this, but it will at least provide you with a placeholder where you can record the actual score, as you wish.  Students will see it their view of grades (see How do I view my grades in a current course? under the View Grade Info example or How do I use the icons and colors in the Grades page? under example number 8), but since most likely have not had an assignment like this in the past, it may still require a bit of explanation on your part.

Finally, this ungraded column WILL export as part of the csv file export from Grades.  I just tried this myself on a sample class just to be sure.  Be careful, however...it looks just like a regular graded column in all other aspects, but the score you recorded WILL be there.  You may just want to color-code it somehow later when you save it.

I hope this helps a bit, Brian...but thank YOU for coming up with your own solution.  I can think of one faculty member in my own institution where this work-around may help!  Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @bmacon ‌ - I saw your question earlier today and was thinking it over, and were not for your own work-around I probably would never have tried to contribute an answer to it!  You came up with a great solution, and actually there IS a way to create a column without the assignment affecting anything.  You can read about it here:  How do I exclude an assignment from the course's final grades?  The student sees it, it IS on the Syllabus page, and it will even appear on their "To Do" list, but it will not affect the final grade.  As the example in that online lesson demonstrates, you can leave an explanation for the assignment when they click upon it, such as:  "This is a placeholder that will record your actual grade for the final exam....." and you can call the assignment something like "Final-Actual Score."  I'm sure you can come up with your own best wording.

Yes, they may still be confused by this, but it will at least provide you with a placeholder where you can record the actual score, as you wish.  Students will see it their view of grades (see How do I view my grades in a current course? under the View Grade Info example or How do I use the icons and colors in the Grades page? under example number 8), but since most likely have not had an assignment like this in the past, it may still require a bit of explanation on your part.

Finally, this ungraded column WILL export as part of the csv file export from Grades.  I just tried this myself on a sample class just to be sure.  Be careful, however...it looks just like a regular graded column in all other aspects, but the score you recorded WILL be there.  You may just want to color-code it somehow later when you save it.

I hope this helps a bit, Brian...but thank YOU for coming up with your own solution.  I can think of one faculty member in my own institution where this work-around may help!  Smiley Happy

Holy cow!!! How did I miss that little check box??? Ugh, I hate getting old and blind. That was so simple!

Thank you so much for your quick reply Ken, truly appreciate it. 

lmorse3

What happens with your work around if the final is the lowest score?