cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coolcott
Community Member

Adjust final grades for selected students

Jump to solution

I want to adjust the final grades for selected students that are on the cusp of a higher grade and have good attendance and participate in class. I do not want to adjust everyone's grade, just a select few.

Why is there no feature to manually adjust the final grade? In Oncourse (the previous system we used at our university) it was a function and it was great! You were allowed to change the final letter grade, the percentage, or the points--whichever you wanted. It was SO easy.

Please tell me why I can't make this kind of adjustment, or if I am missing something.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

coolcott​, you can accomplish this in the Canvas Gradebook in a few ways, two of which will be visible to all of your students, and one of which will not.

First, you can create a no-submission graded assignment that will create a new Gradebook column. You can then add points to those students you feel warrant that grade bump as appropriate.

Second, if you're using weighted assignment groups, you can create what amounts to an extra credit assignment group and assignment column, and again, distribute the credit only to those students whose grades you'd like to increase.

Or, you can pick an assignment and add points to it to increase a specific student's final score.

The first two methods are described in various extra credit resources: How do I give my students extra credit?​, Extra credit using weighted assignment groups,​ and How do I create extra assignment columns for non-submission assignments in the Gradebook?​ Although the resources all describe these methods as adding extra credit--because that's in fact what they accomplish--you can use the methods described therein to add points to selected students.

The Find Answers​ space is primarily devoted to "how," not "why," questions. Having said that, I'll take a stab at your "why" questions: My personal opinion as to why the Canvas Gradebook doesn't offer the capability to selectively fudge some students' final grades is that by doing so it ensures complete grade transparency and accountability. In the event of a grade challenge, for example, the Gradebook as currently constituted presents a completely objective representation of a student's performance in a course.

Not everyone agrees with my opinion, though, and that's why the feature idea is marked "under consideration"; the feature idea remains open for voting and feedback.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

coolcott​, you can accomplish this in the Canvas Gradebook in a few ways, two of which will be visible to all of your students, and one of which will not.

First, you can create a no-submission graded assignment that will create a new Gradebook column. You can then add points to those students you feel warrant that grade bump as appropriate.

Second, if you're using weighted assignment groups, you can create what amounts to an extra credit assignment group and assignment column, and again, distribute the credit only to those students whose grades you'd like to increase.

Or, you can pick an assignment and add points to it to increase a specific student's final score.

The first two methods are described in various extra credit resources: How do I give my students extra credit?​, Extra credit using weighted assignment groups,​ and How do I create extra assignment columns for non-submission assignments in the Gradebook?​ Although the resources all describe these methods as adding extra credit--because that's in fact what they accomplish--you can use the methods described therein to add points to selected students.

The Find Answers​ space is primarily devoted to "how," not "why," questions. Having said that, I'll take a stab at your "why" questions: My personal opinion as to why the Canvas Gradebook doesn't offer the capability to selectively fudge some students' final grades is that by doing so it ensures complete grade transparency and accountability. In the event of a grade challenge, for example, the Gradebook as currently constituted presents a completely objective representation of a student's performance in a course.

Not everyone agrees with my opinion, though, and that's why the feature idea is marked "under consideration"; the feature idea remains open for voting and feedback.

View solution in original post

coolcott
Community Member

Hi there,

Thank you for your quick response! I truly appreciate it and your responses are very helpful. Below are my thoughts.

With all due respect, those options are very tedious and much more time consuming than I would like. Additionally, I do not want to give "extra credit". Bumping up a grade slightly for students that participate and show interest in class is a time honored tradition. I had professors do it for me and I have been doing it for my students for years. I have never had to calculate the exact points a student would need for a little nudge.

I totally respect that you are offering your personal opinion and that the function of this forum is not for the "why", so thank you for taking the stab. In response, in all honesty, grading protocol is up to me, not Canvas. Canvas should work for the professor and meet the needs of the professor. Additionally, the University allows for a grade adjustment on their roster, so having this feature on Canvas does not violate any rights the student has or challenge transparency. Allowing to have it on Canvas would cut down on the tediousness of having to reconcile the University roster and the Canvas roster. In terms of a grade challenge, you can continue to show the original grade and then the grade "override". I have attached screenshots of Oncourse so that you can see how it can work. I have used it for years and never, ever gotten a complaint.

I am not sure how voting and feedback work (if it is internally, or if you ask the "community"), but PLEASE make this a feature. I can assure you that other professors out there feel the same way as I do. Especially for those of us that used Oncourse (and old school hand grading) for so many years.

Again, thank you so much for your thorough response, I very much appreciate your time!

coolcott​, thanks for your comments, and I appreciate the description of your philosophy as well as the specifics of how your school preserves the integrity of grade changes. If you'd like to see this feature implemented in Canvas, by all means, add your feedback to the feature idea that remains under consideration at this writing: