cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdudis
Community Participant

Admin Icon Missing from Global Navigation Menu

Jump to solution

I created my own canvas course using the build it option and want my course to be open to the public using the self registration and open enrollment options.  However, there is no admin icon in my global navigation menu, so I can not access the tools under admin needed to enable the self registration option.  How can I access the admin tools?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sdudis ​, I'm wondering if something like this would work for you - How do I enable course self-enrollment with a join code or secret URL?

You should be able to do this with out Admin level rights in a FFT course/account.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sdudis ​...

Though I've never used it before, it sounds like you're using the Free For Teachers (FFT) account...which does not have an "Admin" button for Canvas Admins.  Smiley Sad  Since I don't know a lot about FFT, I may have to defer you to others here in the Community that do.  But, I was provided this link by stefaniesanders​ which may be of help to you: https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Account_Comparisons.pdf

Hope this helps, Susan!

cesbrandt
Community Champion

The Admin icon would only be available to you if you have an account-level role. These are generally only provided to users that require x access across all courses within an account. It grants that access without having to enroll the user in all those courses. Most instructors and students would not be granted such access.

As for enabling self-enrollment for a course, it wouldn't be done via the account-level administration pages, but the course itself: How do I enable course self-enrollment with a join code or secret URL?

If the options are not present in the course Settings, then the administrator for your instance of Canvas will need to enable it for the account where the course it located (How do I change self-enrollment settings for an account?). That's where the Admin option would be needed on the main navigation, but that process will only make it possible to follow the first one, it won't do it itself.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@sdudis , please note that everything cesbrandt​ has described is only available to schools and institutions that are paying for Canvas. These options will not be available to users of Free for Teachers accounts. Briefly stated, if something requires enabling or customizing at the account level, it is only available to FFT users if it is listed in the comparison sheet linked above.

sdudis
Community Participant

Thanks, Stefanie!  I currently have the open enrollment option (via shared URL) enabled for my course.  Once I have completed designing the course, I hope to put the open enrollment URL on a website and invite people to take the course (for free).  This should still work, correct?  Just not sure what happens when people click on the URL.  Since the course will be open to the public, most people clicking on the URL will not already have Canvass accounts.  Will they be able to create one for free and take my free course?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sdudis ​, I'm wondering if something like this would work for you - How do I enable course self-enrollment with a join code or secret URL?

You should be able to do this with out Admin level rights in a FFT course/account.

View solution in original post

cesbrandt
Community Champion

Yes, this should work, but it would also be dependent upon the registration process for your institution. The Let students self-enroll by sharing with them a secret URL will allow any registered users enroll in the course via the given URL. In short, they need to be able to sign into the Canvas instance.

sdudis
Community Participant

Thanks, Chris. I am not affiliated with any institution, and the people registering for the course via the URL will not be affiliated with any institution either. Will they still be able to register?

cesbrandt
Community Champion

I honestly don't know. If it's the FFT, I'm afraid that is where my knowledge ends. What you could do is try to access the URL from another browser you aren't signed into, or logout of Canvas and access it, and see if it requires you to sign in.

sdudis
Community Participant

Thanks again, Chris. It looks like students unafilliated with an institution can create a canvas account for free and join the course. This is what I had originally thought, but wanted to make sure.