cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lberney
Community Member

Administering a Test Over Multiple Days

Updated

Original Subject Line: How can we pause a test that is partially administered one day and and continued on the next class time without allowing access to the test outside of class?

Our school schedule is a modified block schedule where there are 5 class periods a day.  The 1st and 5th period classes meet everyday and are half the time as the other class period.  Periods 2, 3, and 4 meet every other day and are double the time of the 1st and 5th period class.  We are in desperate need of a way to administer a test, have it locked after class, and then reopen on Monday and close again at the end of class.  As of right now, the only way to do that is to remove the time limit and manually move the available date.  That is driving us nuts!  Is there another and efficient way of doing this?  Please advise quickly please.

Also, we need the parents of our students to be able to see Canvas.  We know there is a Beta application, but that was the number one issue that the parents want for our Canvas courses.  :smileyconfused:

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

In response to your first question I think using a password on the quiz (and changing it after the first session) - as described on this post - should allow you to do what you need to do - Saving a partial test

As for your second question, you should be able to have the parents added as "observers." I'm not an expert on this (I'm in higher ed), but I know a lot of other K12 schools to do this. Here are two sets of guides/documents that should help - Canvas Observer Guide & Mobile Guides - Canvas Parent

I'm also going to share this with the K-12​ group in the Community to see if they can help with this.

lberney
Community Member

Thank you for replying to my post. We will try using/changing passwords for the partial tests. We are really excited about having Canvas and want to be able to develop good courses that can administer assessments while protecting the integrity of quizzes and assessments. We want to have a product that we can reuse and revise content only after we develop it the first time. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheerfully,

Lori A. Berney

ITS for Guyer HS & Nelson Elementary

Office and Contact Info…

John H. Guyer High School

7501 Teasley Lane

Denton, TX 76210

Office: B121

Office # (940) 369-1200

Twitter: @lori_berney

@MrsBerneyGHS

Need assistance?

https://wildcatinstructionaltechcoach.youcanbook.me/

garth
Community Champion

@lberney ​, have you tried the "Lock this Quiz Now" option?

After locking the quiz, you can unlock the quiz.

This might be a solution to your scenario.

Take a look at this article for more details:  What options are available in Canvas quizzes?

Make sure you test so you know how it behaves, it seems to work for me but not sure of your exact scenario.

lock-quiz.png

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @lberney ​...

I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this discussion thread since September 21st.  I am hopeful that one of the responses above has helped to answer your question.  I will go ahead and mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions or comments.  If you feel that one of the above responses is "Correct", please mark that responses as such.  In addition, I wanted to let you know that I am going to shorten your subject line an tag your question with keywords.  Both of these things will make it easier for people to search for your topic should they have similar questions.  If the revised subject line doesn't accurately reflect what you're asking in the body of your message, please let me know, and we can make any necessary changes.  I hope this is okay with you, Lori.  Again, please let the Community know if you have any additional questions or comments.  Thanks!