cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rosenbet
Community Participant

Admins can't add users after course concludes?

Jump to solution

Is it true that admins can't add teachers to concluded courses? This seems counterproductive because many of us need to add new instructors to old shells so they can modify content or copy it. Coming from Blackboard, there was never any restriction on this and it seems weird that I would need to change the dates in order to do this. Wouldn't changing the dates effectively re-open the course? I don't want it open, i just want another instructor to access the content.

@johnsona3 ‌ and I need some advice from likeminded Blackboard defectors...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rosenbet , yes, you need to reopen the course, add people, and then close it back up. Normally this take less than a min or two so it’s not that big of a deal (students don’t get notified or anything like that). 

Yet, what we do most of the time is either copy the content over for a new faculty member who doesn’t have access to a course. Either into their real course or a sandbox course. Why? Because we don’t want someone modifying or messing up the integrity of a previous semester course. If there was a grade appeal we would need the course as is, not the modified version. In addition because there are grades and feedback in the course it becomes a FERPA issue to let faculty who weren’t the teacher of record into a course. 

Kona

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rosenbet , yes, you need to reopen the course, add people, and then close it back up. Normally this take less than a min or two so it’s not that big of a deal (students don’t get notified or anything like that). 

Yet, what we do most of the time is either copy the content over for a new faculty member who doesn’t have access to a course. Either into their real course or a sandbox course. Why? Because we don’t want someone modifying or messing up the integrity of a previous semester course. If there was a grade appeal we would need the course as is, not the modified version. In addition because there are grades and feedback in the course it becomes a FERPA issue to let faculty who weren’t the teacher of record into a course. 

Kona

View solution in original post

rosenbet
Community Participant

Ah, that makes sense. We might need to get in the habit of copying for them. In special cases, when we'd opt to add them to the old course, it is good to know that nobody is notified. Thank you!

cesbrandt
Community Champion

Another option you might consider is maintaining a set of "master" shells that can be updated without students ever being enrolled. For a new term, you simply copy the master into what students would be enrolled in. Any changes resulting from feedback from the term should be applied in the master shell for use in future terms.

That's basically how we handles this situation, but we also have a team dedicated to curriculum development that maintains the master shells. It offers assurance that old term shells won't be modified so we have full accountability for history of content.

jlubkinchavez
Community Participant

@kona how do you "reopen" a course?  imagine there are a couple ways, so wondering what you do. I definitely don't want a notification going out to students.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jlubkinchavez -- it depends on how you close your courses. For us, what reopen means is that we change the course end date to a date in the future (and have the box checked to "Students can only participate in the course between these dates"). This effectively takes the course out of a read-only mode, which then allows us to add people to the course. 

Hope this helps! Kona

bide
Community Member

Is there a way to do this via SIS Import? We had a teacher who somehow had their account deleted by our ILP and we are looking to restore her access to her old courses. It isn't really feasible to go into her 108 previous courses and open them to add her back. From what I can see there is the time to reopen the course, the time for the user to accept the invitation, and the time to re-close the course. All of that multiplied by 108 courses.

bneporadny
Community Champion

Hi bide,

You could feasibly do this via a SIS import, but would recommend you test the import against -your test or beta system to ensure the files created work as expected and no unintended issues arise.