cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harrisj
Community Participant

Allow Liking in Announcements

Jump to solution

Have a faculty member who has clicked Allow Liking for an Announcement - that's it, no allow graders, no sorting.

But, no like icon appears for the students.  We've verified that it works for discussions, but does not for Announcements.

What are we missing?  A setting in the course, in global settings for the system admin?

Can't seem to find any reference to liking in announcements in the literature/guides/discussions...

Thanks!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

As an update liking in announcements should be working. My Canvas Support ticket for this shows that the problem was solved as of 2-22-16.

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

And just to double-check, you have clicked the box to allow liking? Also, this feature doesn't allow students to like your original announcement, it only allows them to like any comments to the announcement. This is by design - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-6095 

View solution in original post

27 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

harrisj​, I just checked and "liking" in announcements is not working for me either. Yet, I didn't even know this was a possibility and checked the guides as well - How do I make an Announcement in my course? - and don't see where this is listed.

So, I'm thinking it's a bug, I'm just not sure if the bug is that it's showing up and it shouldn't or if the bug is that is should be there and isn't working. Right now I'm leaning towards the first option, but to check I'd escalate this to Canvas Support.

dcummings
Community Participant

Jeremy, I have been researching this question for several weeks now... nothing... I want to use the Like Button to see how many students are actually reading my announcements... i will send an escalation to CANVAS and see if I get any insights from that direction.

Dana

abunag
Community Champion

Dana - if you get a response can you post it?  We have a few instructors that were excited about this feature, and it's saddening that it seems to not be functional.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

harrisj​, do you have an update on this? Did you submit it to Canvas Support?

dcummings
Community Participant

I was told that I or a student would have to post an initial response to the announcement and then the like thumb will appear... but that still has not worked for me either...

I am still emailing and trying to figure it out. If it works for others, please let me know

Dana

dcummings
Community Participant

Kona, see my response above to Anthony.

Dana

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I tried it as well and it is not working.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I went ahead and submitted a ticket about this and got the following reply from Canvas Help:

"I am sorry that you have encountered this.  While the liking feature is working as intended for discussions, I am seeing that we have been experiencing a behavior where it does not work appropriately for announcements.  We do not have an ETA currently on when a fix will be in place, but I am happy to assign this ticket to the tracker related to this behavior so that you can receive an update as we work towards a resolution."

Based on this my recommendation is to reply to Canvas support with my case #01113398. This way you'll be notified of all future updates on this bug.

dcummings
Community Participant

Kona, I am glad that you received a response. I submitted a ticket and received nothing... Thanks for posting your answer!

Dana