Allow Teachers to Change Term When Creating Course

Jump to solution
analyticalada
Community Member

We have a small school and prefer to allow teachers to create their own courses. Now that we are starting a new year, I have created a new term with the appropriate start and end dates. However, when a teacher creates a course it is automatically assigned to the 'Default Term' and they are not able to change to the 21-22 Term. Unfortunately, we used the Default Term last year and the end date is set for last school year. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Thanks for any assistance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
gnoack
Community Champion

Hi @analyticalada 

You can give teachers permission to change terms in the course settings. Once they are given that permission, it may ask them to choose a term when they create the course. I'm not sure and I don't have a way to test this. 

You will want to download the Canvas Permissions PDF from this source, the role is part of the Courses - Manage/update section. It may be that this permission is tied with others that you would prefer they don't have, such as changing the course code. What user roles and permissions are available in C... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

As an admin, you should be able to change the term of the courses individually. However, with many courses I realize that might be a pain. 

Have you tried creating courses with a CSV upload?  It's actually very easy. How do I format CSV text files for uploading SIS d... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

View solution in original post