cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cdoherty
Community Participant

Allow creation of grade columns without publishing an assignment

Our instructors are constantly asking for a way to enter grades without having to publish an assignment, for test scores or other offline activities. Sometimes they want the grades to be included in calculation, other times they just need entries for their reference. Even though an assignment can be muted right after publishing, there is still a notification sent to students about an assignment, which makes no sense in many cases, like test scores. The assignment name will also still appear in the gradebook, even when muted, which could also cause confusion in cases where instructors just want to add a column for their own use (e.g., participation, attendance). I don't know if this is best solved by allowing grade entry for unpublished assignments or by direct grade column creation in the Grades tool.

Tags (1)
4 Replies
vanzandt
Community Champion

Our faculty would love to have the ability to quickly add a grading column from within the Grades tool. It's intuitive to them when they have a list of grades to add into the gradebook. They feel like going to Assignments to create a non-submission or on-paper assignment is clunky and not intuitive (especially when it's a quiz or test, they don't associate that with the term Assignment).

rake_9
Community Champion

cdoherty, are you talking about columns in the gradebook that are actually "notes" that the instructors are making for their own reference?

We've definitely seen this as a feature request - a place where instructors can make notes about each student's progress /  needs / whatever that is securely online and visible only to other instructors in the course.

cdoherty
Community Participant

That's not the main scenario. It's mostly graded items that don't make sense as assignments, some the students would see (midterm exam), some they wouldn't see possibly (participation).

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

cdoherty‌ I know you've seen this comment a couple times now already today, so sorry for the duplication.  We're just trying to make sure the content from the pre-beta is wrapped up for those that are entering into the open beta.

This idea is not part of the scope for New Gradebook.  I did not find an existing idea like it.  The closest thing I found was https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1694-mute-assignment-as-a-option-at-assignment-creation 

Please do submit a new idea if you're interested!