cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lcochran
Community Member

Allow students to view a rubric before submission/grading occur?

Jump to solution

How do I preview or show an existing assignment grading rubric to students?  Students are asking to see the rubric in during preparation and in advance of submission to understand how deductions are issued.  Thank you.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @lcochran and welcome to the Community!  Are you using rubrics within Canvas (see How do I add a rubric to an assignment?)?  If so and the rubric is used for grading the assignment then students should be able to see the rubric when they click on a particular assignment (see How do I view the rubric for my assignment?).  If the assignment is not open to students but you would like them to see the rubric ahead of time, then a good option is to create a page where the assignment is described and attach a PDF copy of the rubric (see How do I create a file link in a page in a course?) or if you are using modules to add the assignment description and rubric as file within the module (see How do I add assignment types, pages, and files as module items?).   

Does this information help?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @lcochran and welcome to the Community!  Are you using rubrics within Canvas (see How do I add a rubric to an assignment?)?  If so and the rubric is used for grading the assignment then students should be able to see the rubric when they click on a particular assignment (see How do I view the rubric for my assignment?).  If the assignment is not open to students but you would like them to see the rubric ahead of time, then a good option is to create a page where the assignment is described and attach a PDF copy of the rubric (see How do I create a file link in a page in a course?) or if you are using modules to add the assignment description and rubric as file within the module (see How do I add assignment types, pages, and files as module items?).   

Does this information help?

View solution in original post

Hi Eric, this information was helpful, thank you. I entered student view for the discussion and click on the button with three dots which displayed the rubric. Thanks again!

-Laura

Excellent  @lcochran !  I'm glad it is working.  Best wishes and have a great class!

mfp11
Community Participant

In our iteration of Canvas, an assigned Rubric is not always apparent to students when the assignment invokes Turnitin as an external tool.  Thus it may be necessary (in this type of situation) for instructors to upload the rubric as a distinct file (which may be located nearby to the assignment in a module).  Otherwise, students may not be able to see rubric/grading criteria until after they have submitted an assignment.