cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marthazumack
Community Contributor

Allow user to change username

Jump to solution

Is it possible to allow users to change their usernames/login? I was sure I had seen this as an option to toggle in the admin settings, but have not been able to find it again, or find any questions answered or guides that mention it.

We've recently changed staff emails at our school, but as we don't use an SIS, we can't change the logins through an SIS import, and we don't have anyone on staff who can use the API. As an admin I see that I can change or add a login option, but it also requires setting up a password at the time. I'd rather staff set their own password or be able to keep their existing one, for minimal disruption.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Martha,

This can be done under Admin/Permissions/Account Roles.

You'll need to "Add Role" for your Faculty staff members if you don't already have one and then set the option for "Modify login details for users" to be enabled. I've never done this for anyone other than an Admin so I don't know for sure if this will work in the way you want it to but I'm confident enough to put my name to it....However, the pitfalls associated with this could be... staff may be able to adjust each other's login details and for students as well. I wouldn't recommend enabling this option for anyone other than an admin but that's my personal preference based on users doing things that you would never ever expect or predict. You could just give them a window of a week or two to change their logins themselves before disabling the feature.

Hope that's what you're after.

E

View solution in original post

4 Replies
abunag
Community Champion

If you just want them to be able to change their name, it's in "Admin->Settings", then under "Features" there's a checkbox for it.  If you don't see a checkbox, I'd suggest talking to your CSM.

marthazumack
Community Contributor

If I understand correctly, that allows the user to change their name in the system, but not their login. I'm referring to the username or email address used to log on to Canvas in the first place.

Hi Martha,

This can be done under Admin/Permissions/Account Roles.

You'll need to "Add Role" for your Faculty staff members if you don't already have one and then set the option for "Modify login details for users" to be enabled. I've never done this for anyone other than an Admin so I don't know for sure if this will work in the way you want it to but I'm confident enough to put my name to it....However, the pitfalls associated with this could be... staff may be able to adjust each other's login details and for students as well. I wouldn't recommend enabling this option for anyone other than an admin but that's my personal preference based on users doing things that you would never ever expect or predict. You could just give them a window of a week or two to change their logins themselves before disabling the feature.

Hope that's what you're after.

E

marthazumack
Community Contributor

Hi Eric,

Thank you! I had checked on Account roles but somehow missed that option. Our Faculty staff don't currently have Account-level roles, so it looks like the best option may be for me to add another login for them and assign them a temporary password. My main hesitation with this was ensuring that staff actually changed their passwords!

I appreciate your help!