Hey everyone. I use canvas for all my assignments. Some of the assignments they do are drawings and to submit them they use camscanner to turn them into PDF's and submit them using their phones. I have a few students that when they use their android devices they get an error saying it was unable to import. Have any of you encountered this error, or have a fix for this type of issue?
I use Camscanner with my course and haven't had students report any issues when uploading it to Canvas. Yet, some of them might be uploading the file to Dropbox and then adding it from there, I'm not sure. Also, worst case scenario, the students could email it to themselves and then get on a computer to upload it to their assignment in Canvas.
Sorry I can't be more help!
We haven't heard from you since you first posted this question on September 26th. Did the response from @kona help to answer your question? If so, please go ahead and mark her answer as "Correct". However, if you are still looking for help from members of the Canvas Community, please let us know that, too. For now, I'm going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered", but that isn't going to prevent you or others from adding additional questions/comments to this topic. Thank you, Dustin.
I've used the app in the past along with my students but noticed recently (around the end of January 2017) that once I select the course/assignment to upload the file to I get a message that says "unexpected error".
I've never had a problem before this so I don't know if this is due to an update to the CamScanner app or a Canvas update. My workaround is to have the students email the file to themselves and then submit it to Canvas.
I'm definitely missing the simplicity of sending things straight to Canvas.
FYI: I was running into the same issue (it's Sept. 2018) and had my students with Android phones install a different app for scanning documents. They were able to submit correctly, which - to me - means it's an issue with CamScanner.
Just wanted to post here so people knew.
No issues with iPhone versions of CamScanner.
I did finally get it working again on my Android device. For some reason when CamScanner updated it reset the permissions. I had to go into my phone settings, then to the app and make sure the permissions to access camera and storage for the app were turned on. I haven't had a problem since.