cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpaben
Community Participant

Annotations disappeared?

Jump to solution

Annotations were working fine for me. Now, all of a sudden, the annotation tools have disappeared in DocViewer. I have called support and put in support tickets. Support seemed to be just as perplexed as me. The funny thing is, too, that another admin in my organization can see and use the annotation tools just fine. Why have they disappeared for me? Anyone else having this issue?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi  @mkpaben 
We have also experienced this problem. In our situation it turned out to be a bug in the new "Anonymous grading" beta feature that became available recently. If that feature is turned on for an assignment, the annotations toolbar disappears in the SpeedGrader. If you go into the assignment settings and turn off anonymous grading, the annotations bar returns. The strange thing for us was that we hadn't even enabled the new feature at system level, as it's only a beta feature that we haven't fully tested, but the setting had still been applied to some of our assignments. I logged a ticket and the advice given by Instructure was that we needed to enable the anonymous feature at system level - which I was able to do because I'm an admin - then edit the affected assignments to turn the setting off in all of them, then disable the feature at system level again. This is obviously a complicated solution and not something you'll be able to do on your own without assistance from an admin.

If you already have a ticket open with Instructure about this, update your ticket to mention the anonymous grading feature and ask if they think this could be what has caused your problem.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mpaben ,

This may seem trivial and you may have already done it, but have you changed browsers and/or cleared the cache from the browser that is giving you trouble?

Robbie

mpaben
Community Participant

Yes, I cleared the cache on all of my browsers, tried several different browsers, and even logged-out and logged back in on all of them. Nothing...

Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi  @mkpaben 
We have also experienced this problem. In our situation it turned out to be a bug in the new "Anonymous grading" beta feature that became available recently. If that feature is turned on for an assignment, the annotations toolbar disappears in the SpeedGrader. If you go into the assignment settings and turn off anonymous grading, the annotations bar returns. The strange thing for us was that we hadn't even enabled the new feature at system level, as it's only a beta feature that we haven't fully tested, but the setting had still been applied to some of our assignments. I logged a ticket and the advice given by Instructure was that we needed to enable the anonymous feature at system level - which I was able to do because I'm an admin - then edit the affected assignments to turn the setting off in all of them, then disable the feature at system level again. This is obviously a complicated solution and not something you'll be able to do on your own without assistance from an admin.

If you already have a ticket open with Instructure about this, update your ticket to mention the anonymous grading feature and ask if they think this could be what has caused your problem.

View solution in original post

mpaben
Community Participant

Thank you! This worked! It is tedious because you have to go into every assignment and change this setting, but it worked! I appreciate the response,  @Steve_Watts ‌

Steve_Watts
Community Champion

I'm glad that it worked but I agree, it is tedious. The problem for us was that it didn't affect all of our assignments, it seemed to be random so we had no way of knowing which ones needed to be edited. We just had to wait until a teacher found an assignment where the toolbar had disappeared. Hopefully Instructure's engineers will roll out a fix for the bug soon.