Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alatowsk
Community Member

Announcement won't post

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I am imported an Announcement from one class to another for a hybrid class. The Announcement seemed to be posted but my students never got it. It has a green dot in front of it and no "posted on x" . I will never import announcements again, but I am hoping for an explanation of what I see. 

Thank you. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @alatowsk   and welcome to the Canvas Community!  I import announcements from one class to another, and as long as I change the post date before the class is published I haven't had much trouble.  Other times I will just copy and paste them from a previous course when I want them published.

I found this previous thread that may help explain what you are experiencing, Announcements in Inactive and Unpublished Courses.  If the announcements were imported into your course and the course published without a later post to date indicated, then the students would be able to see the announcements in the Announcement tab but they would not have been sent a notification of the announcement.  You mentioned that students didn't get the announcement.  Do you mean that they didn't receive the normal notification or that they still cannot access your announcements?

One of the comments in the discussion posted above also had an interesting observation.  If the course is published and announcements are posted before a student accepts a course invitation, they evidently do not receive notification but do receive an inbox message.  It doesn't sound like this is your situation, but it was an interesting wrinkle!

Anyway, I hope that this helps explain what you are experiencing and that your class goes well!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @alatowsk   and welcome to the Canvas Community!  I import announcements from one class to another, and as long as I change the post date before the class is published I haven't had much trouble.  Other times I will just copy and paste them from a previous course when I want them published.

I found this previous thread that may help explain what you are experiencing, Announcements in Inactive and Unpublished Courses.  If the announcements were imported into your course and the course published without a later post to date indicated, then the students would be able to see the announcements in the Announcement tab but they would not have been sent a notification of the announcement.  You mentioned that students didn't get the announcement.  Do you mean that they didn't receive the normal notification or that they still cannot access your announcements?

One of the comments in the discussion posted above also had an interesting observation.  If the course is published and announcements are posted before a student accepts a course invitation, they evidently do not receive notification but do receive an inbox message.  It doesn't sound like this is your situation, but it was an interesting wrinkle!

Anyway, I hope that this helps explain what you are experiencing and that your class goes well!

View solution in original post