cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbolender
Community Member

Announcements copied from a previous course

Jump to solution

Is it possible to make Announcements copied from a previous course invisible to students in a current course without deleting them?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kbolender  and welcome to the Community!  There is a way that this can be accomplished.  Once the announcements are copied over and before your class has been published, you can change the posting date of the announcement to some time in the future.  This would prevent students from receiving the announcements before the posting day/time is reached (see https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10422-415250735 for details).  Another option you could consider is that, provided that you have a "sandbox" or similar course, you can copy the announcements into this course and then copy/paste them into your actual class when you would like them posted.

I hope this helps and best wishes!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kbolender  and welcome to the Community!  There is a way that this can be accomplished.  Once the announcements are copied over and before your class has been published, you can change the posting date of the announcement to some time in the future.  This would prevent students from receiving the announcements before the posting day/time is reached (see https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10422-415250735 for details).  Another option you could consider is that, provided that you have a "sandbox" or similar course, you can copy the announcements into this course and then copy/paste them into your actual class when you would like them posted.

I hope this helps and best wishes!

gfoster
Community Participant

I have considered these workarounds but they are very time consuming for me as I have roughly 75 announcements per semester. So basically my options are to delete all 75 and then copy and paste each of them one at a time from the previous course or click on all 75 individually in the new course and set the delay date for each of them prior to publishing (that is a lot of delay dates). As I move through the semester, before they post, I most likely will need to modify some of the announcements as not all semesters are exactly the same, so it would be nice to have some sort of on and off selection that the teacher could select. Or maybe when the announcement are copied over from another course instead of having them all show up as published in the new course where students will see all 75 of them as soon as the course itself is published these copied announcements would be hidden from students but visible to the teacher so the teacher could modify and make them visible when needed throughout the semester. Not sure why Canvas has all the past announcements show up in the new course as published? Anyway is there a way to suggest this change?

gfoster
Community Participant

Not to mention I teach two different classes. 

@gfoster , please add your support and comments to https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1102-publish-and-unpublish-announcements , which is open for voting at this writing.

bsedar
Community Member

Wholly agree w/Gerry Foster and have asked several times for this feature that could potentially be a big time saver (vs a big time consumer) for all Instructors.  I am going to add my vote now...

makraft
Community Contributor

Adding my agreement with Gary. I have someone who manages a huge cohort of medical school students. She has way more 75 announcements (a couple hundred over the course of a calendar year). I realize those of us on this thread are more the exceptions than the rule, but it would be nice to have some bulk management capability.

PSHatARC
Community Member

This is exactly what I wanted to say as a comment to the work around of changing the date on each announcement. A simple on/off switch for each announcement would be great--just like there is publish/unpublish for assignments, quizzes, etc.  Thanks for being thoughtful with the solution and the response.