cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmiddleton
Community Member

Announcements question

Jump to solution

What do the U and the red dot to the left of my announcements mean? It showed up when I copied a course - 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @lmiddleton .  The U next to an announcement is what happens when the profile of the user is not connected to the announcement.  This happens whenever a course is copied, even if I created the announcement in one shell and copy the announcements to another shell where I am also the teacher.  In most of my own situations, I would prefer that the announcement copy over with my information as the creator, but I know of situations where this is probably not best (a course developer creates a master shell that is copied into other teaching shells, one teacher copies announcements created in a different shell by a different teacher, etc.).

The red dot appear to be an announcement that is unread (see What does the red dot mean?).  I haven't seen this myself but it sounds as though it may be a different color based on how Canvas is structured at an institution.

I hope this helps and best wishes!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @lmiddleton .  The U next to an announcement is what happens when the profile of the user is not connected to the announcement.  This happens whenever a course is copied, even if I created the announcement in one shell and copy the announcements to another shell where I am also the teacher.  In most of my own situations, I would prefer that the announcement copy over with my information as the creator, but I know of situations where this is probably not best (a course developer creates a master shell that is copied into other teaching shells, one teacher copies announcements created in a different shell by a different teacher, etc.).

The red dot appear to be an announcement that is unread (see What does the red dot mean?).  I haven't seen this myself but it sounds as though it may be a different color based on how Canvas is structured at an institution.

I hope this helps and best wishes!

View solution in original post

mstewart1
Instructure
Instructure

Hey Linda,

Thanks for reaching out. A profile picture displaying the letter U in place of a user's profile picture indicates that an announcement was imported using a course copy, the Course Import Tool, or a blueprint course. The dot is it regards to new and unread replies. They are indicated by a solid dot. Read replies are indicated by an empty dot. When you navigate away from the Announcement or refresh the page, the sold dots will change to empty dots indicating the replies are read.

For more information about announcements, here are a few guides:

How do I use the Announcements Index Page? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9931-415250726 

If you have any other questions, absolutly feel free to reach out again.

Best,

Mike S.

Canvas Support

So how do you solve this - if it doesn't work with blue print or with course copy - or partial course copy- why not?