cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john_shearer
Community Member

Announcements

Jump to solution

How do I know if my Announcements can be viewed by the Students?  There is an "eyeball" icon next to announcements for one of my classes and for my other class there is No "eyeball."  Which should it be? 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @john_shearer  Welcome to the Canvas Community! The eyeball icon you're seeing in one of your courses means that the Announcements tab has not been enabled in the course navigation, and is therefore not currently visible to students. To fix that, follow the instructions in How do I manage Course Navigation links?

View solution in original post

I just tested this in a brand-new course with no prior announcements with the Announcements tab enabled in Settings and the eyeball still present. As soon as I saved the announcement, I watched as the eyeball disappeared from the course navigation: in other words, it was instantaneous. Have you asked Canvas Support to investigate this, @lettgo583 ? They might be able to identify environmental factors that are causing the delay.

3 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @john_shearer  Welcome to the Canvas Community! The eyeball icon you're seeing in one of your courses means that the Announcements tab has not been enabled in the course navigation, and is therefore not currently visible to students. To fix that, follow the instructions in How do I manage Course Navigation links?

lettgo583
Community Participant

There appears to be a delay of several minutes from when the instructor posts an announcement to when that eyeball icon disappears. This is has been happening for the last several months. 

Is that something others are having a problem with? 

This is only an issue with the first announcement in a course ... but it's disconcerting when it happens that first time for our instructors. That's typically during the first few days of the term when everyone is nervous about technology working right. 

I just tested this in a brand-new course with no prior announcements with the Announcements tab enabled in Settings and the eyeball still present. As soon as I saved the announcement, I watched as the eyeball disappeared from the course navigation: in other words, it was instantaneous. Have you asked Canvas Support to investigate this, @lettgo583 ? They might be able to identify environmental factors that are causing the delay.