cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bsm45
Community Participant

Anonymous Survey

Jump to solution

I'd like to conduct a survey that is anonymous in the sense that I do not want any responses associated with the individual students. At the same time, I would like to be able to keep track of who has completed the survey as I plan to offer a few extra credits for participation as an incentive for completing the survey. How would I go about doing this in Canvas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @bsm45 and welcome to the Community!  I use anonymous graded surveys each week in my classes as a reflective exercise.  If the surveys are graded, they can still be anonymous.  Since there is no right/wrong answer, when the survey is completed the students receive the points associated with the assignment.  This document describes the process of setting this up, How do I create a survey in my course? 

I do believe that this note from the document is important, however:

"The anonymous option can be enabled or disabled before or after a survey has received submissions, allowing a user with sufficient permissions to see a student's identity and responses. To collect fully anonymous survey responses, you may want to use a third-party survey tool."

I hope this helps and best wishes!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @bsm45 and welcome to the Community!  I use anonymous graded surveys each week in my classes as a reflective exercise.  If the surveys are graded, they can still be anonymous.  Since there is no right/wrong answer, when the survey is completed the students receive the points associated with the assignment.  This document describes the process of setting this up, How do I create a survey in my course? 

I do believe that this note from the document is important, however:

"The anonymous option can be enabled or disabled before or after a survey has received submissions, allowing a user with sufficient permissions to see a student's identity and responses. To collect fully anonymous survey responses, you may want to use a third-party survey tool."

I hope this helps and best wishes!

View solution in original post

bsm45
Community Participant

Thank you! We just adopted this semester cold turkey, no transition from the old LMS. I'm looking forward to having this community as a resource as I learn to use the platform. 

No problem  @bsm45  The Community is a great place for learning about Canvas and finding help.  We transitioned from Canvas in our undergraduate classes over the summer, so faculty left spring using one system and started fall using Canvas.  I was happy by how smooth the transition has been so hope you have a similar experience!