cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kas200
Community Participant

Any way to customize the help text on the +People prompt?

Jump to solution

Does anyone know if there's a way to change the help text displayed in the prompt when adding people to your course? Right now it says "Example Student" <student@example.com>, which is an issue at our school with the way we have accounts created from SIS. We want to encourage users to use a different ID for enrolling people into their courses.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abunag
Community Champion

I'm not a coding guy - I had this written by someone else so make sure to test this out. You'll want to swap out the "PacificNet ID" with whatever you call your SIS identifier:

$(document).ready(function(){

// set timeout

var tid = setTimeout(mycode, 250);

function mycode() {

//Change Add People Span to PacificNet ID

$("p:contains('Type or paste a list of email addresses below:')").text("PacificNet ID (example: jsmith21)");

$('#create-users-step-1 #user_list_textarea').attr('placeholder', 'Type or paste a list of PacificNet IDs below:');

//$('form').find("input[type=user_list_textarea], input[type=user_list], textarea").each(function(ev)

//  {

//      if(!$(this).val()) {

//    $(this).attr("placeholder", "Enter PacificNetIDs separated by commas");

//  }

//  });

tid = setTimeout(mycode, 250); // repeat myself

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@kas200 , a customization of this sort would undoubtedly require the skill set of the innovative members of the Canvas Developers​ group, so I've shared your question with them.

abunag
Community Champion

we changed it using a custom javascript.  This would change it globally though and require someone with access to the theme editor in the Admin panel.  If you're interested, I can get a copy of the code you'd need tomorrow.

kas200
Community Participant

That'd be awesome  @abunag ​! I'm an admin for our account, so I can easily make edits to the theme for our school.

abunag
Community Champion

I'm not a coding guy - I had this written by someone else so make sure to test this out. You'll want to swap out the "PacificNet ID" with whatever you call your SIS identifier:

$(document).ready(function(){

// set timeout

var tid = setTimeout(mycode, 250);

function mycode() {

//Change Add People Span to PacificNet ID

$("p:contains('Type or paste a list of email addresses below:')").text("PacificNet ID (example: jsmith21)");

$('#create-users-step-1 #user_list_textarea').attr('placeholder', 'Type or paste a list of PacificNet IDs below:');

//$('form').find("input[type=user_list_textarea], input[type=user_list], textarea").each(function(ev)

//  {

//      if(!$(this).val()) {

//    $(this).attr("placeholder", "Enter PacificNetIDs separated by commas");

//  }

//  });

tid = setTimeout(mycode, 250); // repeat myself

View solution in original post

kas200
Community Participant

Thank you! This is perfect!