cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msl_adm
Community Contributor

Any way to undo an Import (course copy)?

Jump to solution

Hi all, we're looking for a way to "roll back" an import that was mistakenly done by an instructor.  One of our instructors imported content into the wrong course via "Copy a Canvas Course".  So now, the old and new content both exist in the course.

It's an old course with student records, grades, etc. that need to be preserved, so I'm hesitant to wipe the course and restore from a beta or test environment, since I presume the content would all be considered "new" upon import, and therefore we'd lose student work.

Is there any way to do this?  I have found in the admin tools where I can see a record of the Course Copy (Admin Tools > Logging), but I cannot do anything to reverse it.  I also gave the API a cursory glance for a way to roll back a migration, but it's not turning up anything meaningful that I can see.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

msl_adm​,

Unfortunately, without Canvas Support's help, the Reset Course Content option will wipe out everything in the course and give you a new blank shell.  I would recommend contacting Support from the Help> Report a Problem link in the course.  They may be able to assist.

Robbie

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

msl_adm​,

Unfortunately, without Canvas Support's help, the Reset Course Content option will wipe out everything in the course and give you a new blank shell.  I would recommend contacting Support from the Help> Report a Problem link in the course.  They may be able to assist.

Robbie

View solution in original post

msl_adm
Community Contributor

Thanks, Robbie.  That was my next step.

robert_lowe
Community Member

Darn.  I was really hoping Canvas would have a versioning option so you could revert to a previous version of your course.  I mistakenly thought Import all courses meant 'Import the full course' so I ended up importing a Commons course into ALL 9 of my existing courses.  Not fun.  I will now have to export the courses and re-import them, deselecting all of the Commons course content.  Ugh!  It would be so much nicer if I could just revert back one version and re-import the Commons course the proper way (Create a new course and import - too bad the Import function doesn't appear to have the option to automatically create a New course when importing a full course)

Hi  @robert_lowe .  I agree.  There is an idea that has been submitted related to this, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9485-undo-course-imports , that I thought you might be interested in voting up if you haven't already.  The more the better!