cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
israel_berger
Community Member

Arc Media Library videos not visible to students

When my students access the Arc Media Library, they say there are no videos in the library (all lectures have been uploaded and appear for us). Is there anything we have to do for them to be able to access them from the Arc Media Library? They say there are no courses in the drop down menu at the top of the page, and they are able to view them when embedded on weekly lecture pages.

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @israel_berger  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  After you have loaded your video(s) into your Arc library, have you added them to content in your course?  I would recommend using the instructions given in this Guide, How do I embed Arc media in Canvas?.  Once you do that, your students won't need to go to the Arc button all the time to access the videos.  They will be immediately available in the content of your course.  I hope this helps, Israel.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response. As a I mentioned, they are embedded on the course pages. This is not a problem.

Students specifically want to access them in bulk to download them for playing offline, so they need to be able to access them from the Arc Media Library. This is especially pertinent for students who are in rural and remote areas with consequently poor internet access, as embedded content does not load well on a patchy connection. 

Best,

Israel

stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @israel_berger ,

I wanted to check in as I noted that your question seems to have the community a little stumped after your last followup. I am sure by now you will have found a possible solution or workaround through some of your own additional sleuthing? If not, do you still need assistance with this (please let us know, we are always happy to help)!

If you did find a solution that solved this, it would be great to hear from you how you did (as this will help anyone else that finds your question in future).

Cheers,
Stuart 

Hello  @israel_berger ...

I, too, would like to check in with you again.  I just re-read your response (above), and here's something to keep in mind...  Depending on the source of the videos you upload to Arc, students may or may not be able to download them for "offline" viewing.  For example, if you upload a video to Arc that you created yourself, then when you embed that video into a course page, you'd have the option of either allowing (or not allowing) students to download a copy of that video to his/her own computer.  However, if you instead added a YouTube video to your Arc library and then embedded it into your course, you do not have an option to toggle to allow (or not allow) the video to be downloaded.  (My guess is because the video is on YouTube and you don't "own" the video.)  This is covered in the following Guide: How do I embed Arc media in Canvas? 

I am going to share your question with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/arc here in the Canvas Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  If you are not yet following this group, please use the group link that I have provided, and then you'll find two buttons in the upper right corner: "Follow" and "Actions".  Click both of them (in "Actions", you will need to select "Join group").  I hope this will be of help to you.

Finally, since we have not seen a lot of activity in this thread for a while, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered".  If you feel that a reply in this thread could be marked as "Correct", please feel free to do so, but marking this thread as "Assumed Answered" won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Israel.

Logan-B
Instructure
Instructure

So if anyone is still confused (like I was) - Studio videos that are embedded into a page do not also automatically appear in a student's library. That might be what @israel_berger was asking about (it was what I was looking for).

Videos only appear in a student's library when they are shared with them