cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nathan_campbell
Community Participant

Are 'Observer' and 'Parent' one in the same?

Jump to solution

Are the parent and observer roles one in the same?

If so, since an admin can edit the Observer role at the institutional level in Canvas, if the admin modifies (e.g. enable/disable) a feature in the observer role does this impact how parents also see their students' canvas accounts?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @nathan_campbell -

The short answer is yes. Observer and Canvas Parent accounts are one-in-the-same. And after Canvas Parent 2.0 is released, the distinction between the two will formally be seen as a single role for the Observer and Admin. Smiley Happy

If you want to know more details, let me know!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @nathan_campbell -

The short answer is yes. Observer and Canvas Parent accounts are one-in-the-same. And after Canvas Parent 2.0 is released, the distinction between the two will formally be seen as a single role for the Observer and Admin. Smiley Happy

If you want to know more details, let me know!

View solution in original post

I    realize it has been almost a year since the last on this discussion, but this question is coming up at our institution now. We use the Observer role for sign language interpreters and a few other non-student or faculty roles in Canvas. We only want them to see content, but not interact with the course or others in the course and we have given them very limited permissions. We have been asked to allow our College Credit Plus parents to use the Canvas Parent App, but not sure if I would need to move our interpreters to their own Canvas role because right now our Observers are not allowed to view grades.

I guess what I am asking is what are the minimum permissions needed for parents to use the Parent App, and would I need to separate these roles?

Based on what you described, I would make a separate role for your sign language interpreters so you have the most control on "who sees what" in Canvas

I have not experimented with the minimum requirements needed for the Canvas Parent app to operate. I wonder if that would be a good conversation to initiate with your CSM! If you'd like help after that conversation, this would be a great open-ended discussion to post to Canvas Mobile Users Group‌. Smiley Happy