cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karen_bowden
Community Participant

Are There Any Canvas Instructions for Parents

Jump to solution

It just came to my attention that there are no Canvas-created instructions for parents. Or maybe we don't know where to find them. Has anybody already created their own? Before we embark on creating documentation, instructions and simulations for parents I'd like to get some hints, tips, etc. Does anyone have a course we could copy and start from? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Karen -

In the blog, Canvas Parent 2.0 Update‌, a lot of the updates are explained. However, Canvas Parent 2.0 - Pre-Release Update has some more information, and a video available on how to create the accounts. The pairing code piece is brand new, so I believe a handout of some kind is being created to help schools distribute the new steps to their families. I can update this thread when it's released, if that's helpful.

In the past, I've adjusted the information in What is the Canvas Parent app? and What is the Observer role?‌ and created my own resource for my school. I even made a short screencast that walked families through the steps, starting on our homepage. I think that the paring code will make the process even easier. It's just about communication, promotion, and buy-in now.

Last year, I wrote A Letter To Canvas Observers‌ to help communicate the differences. I anticipate needing to update/refresh that with the release of Canvas Parent 2.0 for Android and iOS. Smiley Happy

From an admin standpoint, Observers are Canvas Parent users and vice versa. The dashboard for Canvas Parent will be gone, and admin can search for observers through the main users search they use for instructors and students. (I think it will simplify things a lot!)

View solution in original post

7 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @karen_bowden ‌ - Are you looking for instructions for creating an Observer account, use Canvas Parent, or both? There are some resources available and some in-the-works. Let me know how I can be of the most help!

karen_bowden
Community Participant

Hi, @klundstrum . Probably for both. I will confirm with the requestor when she gets back to me. 

Can you point me to where any resources are currently available? That would be great! What instructions are in the works and are they just for your organization?

Again, thank you!

Karen (AKA Elizabeth)

Hi Karen -

In the blog, Canvas Parent 2.0 Update‌, a lot of the updates are explained. However, Canvas Parent 2.0 - Pre-Release Update has some more information, and a video available on how to create the accounts. The pairing code piece is brand new, so I believe a handout of some kind is being created to help schools distribute the new steps to their families. I can update this thread when it's released, if that's helpful.

In the past, I've adjusted the information in What is the Canvas Parent app? and What is the Observer role?‌ and created my own resource for my school. I even made a short screencast that walked families through the steps, starting on our homepage. I think that the paring code will make the process even easier. It's just about communication, promotion, and buy-in now.

Last year, I wrote A Letter To Canvas Observers‌ to help communicate the differences. I anticipate needing to update/refresh that with the release of Canvas Parent 2.0 for Android and iOS. Smiley Happy

From an admin standpoint, Observers are Canvas Parent users and vice versa. The dashboard for Canvas Parent will be gone, and admin can search for observers through the main users search they use for instructors and students. (I think it will simplify things a lot!)

View solution in original post

karen_bowden
Community Participant

Thanks! This is terrific information. Sorry my reply is so late. We were having network problems here and I couldn't access the community until today.

Hi! It's okay!! I'm glad you replied. It reminded me I needed to share Parent App How-To Guide‌ with you!! Smiley Happy

yyang
Community Participant

This post was extremely helpful! Thank you!!!

karen_bowden
Community Participant

And another parent app resource is now available from the Canvas Documentation team: How to create an account int he Canvas Parent app on an Android device: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15181-59347942780