cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harry_rubin
Community Member

Are canvas private messages really private?

Jump to solution

If students are messaging each other in a course, are the course instructors notified, or are the messages completely private?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
bneporadny
Community Champion

Hey  @harry_rubin ,

If students are messaging each other within Canvas the #messages are not seen by the instructor. I am going to share this question over with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=2875ebbb-fe4f-4187-a9f8-eda2893cf2c...‌ group to see if others can share what they have done in instances like this. I know I have seen similar questions asked in the community before. 

Brian

View solution in original post

dhulsey
Community Champion

@harry_rubin ‌, instructors are not notified and do not see conversation messages between students. In that sense, they are private. However, Canvas admins at your institution could access messages in a student's account, and just like anything else, messages can be captured with a screenshot and shared. So, semi-private? Smiley Happy  

View solution in original post

4 Replies
bneporadny
Community Champion

Hey  @harry_rubin ,

If students are messaging each other within Canvas the #messages are not seen by the instructor. I am going to share this question over with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=2875ebbb-fe4f-4187-a9f8-eda2893cf2c...‌ group to see if others can share what they have done in instances like this. I know I have seen similar questions asked in the community before. 

Brian

dhulsey
Community Champion

@harry_rubin ‌, instructors are not notified and do not see conversation messages between students. In that sense, they are private. However, Canvas admins at your institution could access messages in a student's account, and just like anything else, messages can be captured with a screenshot and shared. So, semi-private? Smiley Happy  

ben_hudson
Community Contributor

Hey  @harry_rubin ,

There is also a permission setting for "Send messages to individual course members"  if you disable this students can no longer message one another in a course. Also a few things to pay attention to here; disabling this now does not affect conversations that have already been created, if a teacher creates a group of students in a course they can still talk and students will still be able to message teachers of the course.

If you decide to go this route and you want to clean up conversations that have already been created, I wrote this https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers/blog/2016/12/19/delete-all-canvas-conversat... and provided my method for cleanup.

Thanks,

Ben

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@harry_rubin ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie