cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gjohns4
Community Member

Are matching questions required to be one-to-one comparisons?

Jump to solution

I have imported a set of questions form Blackboard and all the quizzes that with multiple-to-one comparisons throw an exception. For example I might have defined 3 objects (Sky, ocean, mud) and two choices (A: Green, B: Blue).

I have been told this is a bug in canvas but I want to double check that this kind of question is supported so I can know if I need to restructure the quizzes.  Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi gjohns4
When you create a matching question, the items in the first column need to be unique but you can have the same item repeated several times in the second column. For example, I create a question where students have to match the colours: in the first column I have Sky and Ocean (which are both blue) and Mud (which is brown). My first screenshot shows how I would create this in the question editor.
When the student sees the question, they are just presented with the two options blue and brown in the second column. As I had added the same option twice when creating the question, it's only shown once to the student but they can select it as many times as they like when answering the question. (They could also choose brown for all three answers if they wanted to.) My second screenshot shows how the question looks to the student.
I'm not sure what happens when you import a matching question that was created in a different system but I remember that we did have issues with certain question types when we migrated to Canvas a few years ago. So you might need to go into the question editor and fix the question once it's been imported but you should still be able to achieve what you want using matching questions.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi gjohns4
When you create a matching question, the items in the first column need to be unique but you can have the same item repeated several times in the second column. For example, I create a question where students have to match the colours: in the first column I have Sky and Ocean (which are both blue) and Mud (which is brown). My first screenshot shows how I would create this in the question editor.
When the student sees the question, they are just presented with the two options blue and brown in the second column. As I had added the same option twice when creating the question, it's only shown once to the student but they can select it as many times as they like when answering the question. (They could also choose brown for all three answers if they wanted to.) My second screenshot shows how the question looks to the student.
I'm not sure what happens when you import a matching question that was created in a different system but I remember that we did have issues with certain question types when we migrated to Canvas a few years ago. So you might need to go into the question editor and fix the question once it's been imported but you should still be able to achieve what you want using matching questions.

View solution in original post

kblack
Community Champion

That is a VERY cool work-around  @Steve_Watts ‌--I had no idea that duplicate entries would be shown as just one in a case like that!  (I don't have to troubleshoot very many matching-type questions at my institution.)

This is good to know. Than you for your reply.