cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cdnielsen
Community Participant

Assessments Disappear If Rubric Deleted?

Jump to solution

I am confused by the warning that appears when one wants to delete a rubric and start fresh: "When you delete a rubric, it will remove the rubric from all associated assignments in the course and delete any existing associated assessments."

(See the Canvas Guide for illustration.)

Does this mean that the actual quiz, discussion, or assignment will be deleted if I delete the rubric?

Thanks in advance,

Crystal

Tags (1)
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Coach Emeritus

Hi  @cdnielsen  

I just tested this with all three assignment types, and deleting the rubric, did not delete  the assignment. I even used it for grading, and it did not delete the assignment.

I hope this helps,

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Shar
Community Champion

Hi Crystal,

In the case of removing/deleting a rubric, the "associated assessment" refers to the set of scores of the assignment using the rubric. And it makes sense that when you delete the rubric any scores you used with it will also go away.

The assignment/quiz/discussion will still remain in Canvas when you delete the rubric. The assessment of that assignment/quiz/discussion using the rubric will disappear/delete when you delete the rubric.

Hope this answer helps,
Cheers - Shar

cdnielsen
Community Participant

OK, so if I'm updating a course for a new semester and want to get rid of outdated rubrics, it won't hurt anything in my new course because no student work has been done yet, right? It sounds like the warning mainly applies to deleting a rubric while teaching.

Crystal

Absolutely not,  @cdnielsen 

I have already talked to the documentation folks, and they are looking over that guide.

Kelley

0 Kudos
cdnielsen
Community Participant

So just to make sure I'm understanding... your "absolutely not" refers to my "it won't hurt anything in my new course."

Yes, it will not hurt anything!

And I really do get your concern - too much work to fix stuff that breaks, and we are all already busy enough!

Image result for won't Hurt anything

Kelley

kmeeusen
Coach Emeritus

Hi  @cdnielsen  

I just tested this with all three assignment types, and deleting the rubric, did not delete  the assignment. I even used it for grading, and it did not delete the assignment.

I hope this helps,

epapadopoulou
Community Member

I have a follow-up or related question - deleting rubrics doesn't hurt your current class, but what about grading data for older/closed courses?  It may not seem important after the course is closed, but for things like attached outcomes, reporting etc this could delete data that accreditation reports need.  Does anyone have any insight on this?

0 Kudos