Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamannj2

Assigning Multiple Roles. How is it done?

Jump to solution

The title is pretty self explanatory. I know it's possible, because I am enrolled in a class as both Teacher and Student. I am technically a Department Assistant and TA, and the guy who had the job before me must have figured out how to assign me to two roles at once. I am enrolled as a student so I can get graded for the class, and Teacher so I have all the permissions to create assignments and do grading. I need to do the same for the guy replacing me. He's currently enrolled as a Teacher so he can learn the grading system (he's on part time right now), but I need him to be both Teacher and Student so he can also be graded because he's also taking the class. It's just the nature of the job. Canvas is only allowing me to select one role at a time for one person. As I said, I'm currently enrolled as Teacher and Student, so I know it's possible.

J

1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Jason,

Just to follow up a little on what Kelley said, it is a matter of permissions if you will be able to do this.  But editing the role is not going to do what you want because that will just allow you to change from one role to another.  To add a second role click the + People button and add the person to the course again, but with the other role you want them to have. This is the correct process to add a 2nd role in the course. 

Rick 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @hamannj2  and  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

You may or may not have permission to assign roles at the course level depending on the permission setting determined by your school.

If you do have this level of permission, you can learn how to do this at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13123-4152481701 

If you do not have this permission, and you will know as soon as you go into People and note there are no editing capability, then you will need to contact your school's Canvas Admin/Support department to make this change for you. 

Kelley

rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Jason,

Just to follow up a little on what Kelley said, it is a matter of permissions if you will be able to do this.  But editing the role is not going to do what you want because that will just allow you to change from one role to another.  To add a second role click the + People button and add the person to the course again, but with the other role you want them to have. This is the correct process to add a 2nd role in the course. 

Rick 

This was the solution, thank you. I just added him a second time, as the other role.

J